how long can you stay home with contractions before going to the hospital?

The reason I ask
Well, actually I am only almost 6 weeks so I do have a little while(but you can't ever plan to early lol), but with my second baby I had an epidural and was leaking spinal fluid. To this day I get bad headaches and everything anyway I am trying not to get an epidural this time, but I don't do well with pain at all. So I figure if I could stay at home as long as possible so that way I can do what I want in order to keep me comfy lol. So how long can you stay at home with contracts? What if your awater breaks? With both my others I was induced. My second baby the doctor had to break my water. My plan is getting to the hospital in just enough time to have the baby lmbo. I know if I have to lay in bed I wont be able to do it. The hospital I was at with my other 2 wont let you walk aroound once you get into the hospital. They make you stay in bed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you are in natural labor, they will let you walk around.
    you should go in when they are 5 minutes apart but you should also talk to your doctor about when he thinks that you should go as well.
    you don't have to go in immediately when you water breaks unless your contractions are that close.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Well it somewhat depends on how close you are to the hospital.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• well with my other one when I had her my doctor told me not to go to the hospital if I am in labor to call his office first. If it was after hours then the (whoever answers the phone) will page him and have him call me. But I was induced a week early with her because with my first i was induced on my due date and she got stuck because she was to big (I had to small of hips) so I had forceps they didn't want me to go through that again and wanted to make the last baby smaller only it didn't work she was 6 ounces bigger lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My OB or midwife always said to call when the contractions were 3-5 minutes apart and take your breath away.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• 4 minutes aparts for 1 hour and lasting 1 full minute is when you should head to the hospital.
    Anonymous

• Intervening (for convenience, not yours, theirs) is very common. It doesn't make it better or easier (or safer) for you or your baby...
    Why not avoid that environment longer?
    Not just through most of your labor but the entire labor?
    Have a homebirth.
    It does make it easier to have less pain and enjoy it more.
    A world of difference!
    ;-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:41 AM on Dec. 11, 2010