Letting my 2 yr old dd stay over my parents for weekend

We are in the process of packing because we're moving on Tuesday so our house is chaos to say the least. My parents offered to take her for the weekend to make it easier on us. My dd has stayed the bight with ny parents before for a night a few times. Do you think that is too young? I wonder what other moms do. I personally don't see anything wrong since it's my parents. Just curious. oh and once she did stay there for 2 nights when she was about 5 mths old. I was really sick with the flu and couldn't even feed myself so my parents drive down here (they live an hr away) to take care of her. My SO couldn't take off of work. Would you have done the same if you really just couldn't take care of her?

FYI my sister and her young children live with my parents so she gets to play more with kids then at our house.

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 7:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I don't know... I find it kind of odd that you would even ask that about your own parents... did they not raise you?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• As long as she is comfortable with them and they take good care of her, then I don't see a problem. Besides, it is a safety factor too, moving is a bad place for toddlers, a lot of accidents happen to them during moving! Let grandma have some time with her!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 7:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Yes I think its great...
    DD started staying the night at MIL around 2yo...She has so much fun.
    There are kids out there that stay with grandparents even as newborns.. As long as the person is capable & u trust them ...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Yes my parents raised me. I ask because I wonder how other moms do things. Justt
    trying to see If what I'm doing is common that's all. Because I see nothing wrong with it because it's my parents but then I think of her age and I kinda think, is this too young?! My friend asked me "don't you think it's too young?" and it made me wonder. My friend said she would never do that but the difference us her parents live on the corner and get to see her Ds all the time so she doesn't understand what it's like to live farther from family and thus have less help
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• my parents would often take my daughter for the night when they could and one of my husbands old supervisors would also take her as well, he is in the air force and we were stationed over in england thats where im from, we had alot of problems while being there so they all felt like if they take her for a while it will help me out as i had a c-section with her
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 7:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• dammit, I wish I could drop my kids off for a weekend with my parents. Argh, not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous. These kids have been a huge pain in the butt today, and I don't feel so great!! Enjoy it for me!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My parents and inlaws live in town, but my 2 year old has spent the night with them on several occasions starting when he was around 10 months. He spent a weekend with my inlaws when his baby sister was born and we were in the hospital. They also will be taking him to the beach with them (they have a beach house that we go to often) this spring for a long weekend.

Answer by missanc at 7:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Nothing wrong with it. It used to be common for kids to spend weekends with other family now parents are so paranoid they won't even leave them for an hour it seems.
    When my older 3 kids were 22 months, 3 and 4 they stayed a full week with my in-laws while me and my husband went on vacation (our only vacation since having kids...that was in 2004). They had a blast playing with their cousins and being spoiled beyond belief. It was the first time away for my 22mo but the older kids used to stay with my in-laws all the time including a week when the youngest was born (they were 13 months and 2) and 3 weeks when they were 17 months and 2 1/2 because I had a nervous breakdown and needed to recover (I could barely function, let alone care for 3 kids under 3, we kept the baby with us, she was 4 months at the time).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I see nothing wrong with kids spending time with their grandparents.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:37 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with it my kids have spent more then a weekend with my parents. My son spent most of the first year of his life in the hospital and it was 5 hours away. My parents took my kids when I went to go see him. They have spent upto 2 weeks with my parents. They love going to Nana's house. I think its because they get away with anything there.
    trachmom312

Answer by trachmom312 at 3:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2010