My 15 year old told me she wants to kill herself.

I'm terrified. I have no clue what to do and I swear I've done everything I could to keep her happy over the years, we've always been a close family and I love her so much, so I don't know what's happened to bring this on. Can you please give me advice on how to deal with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Please seek help now. Take what she says seriously and do whatever has to be done. Try this and see if they can help http://www.suicidehotlines.com/  I wish you and your daughter the very best. HUGS

Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 7:50 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Yes, please get her to a counselor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Go to your local mental health center and they will get her counseling. Above all, take her seriously (my brother attempted it for the first time at 14). Don't feel responsible for this, it may not have anything to do with you, school and peer pressure can be very difficult things to handle, especially if you don't feel like you fit in. Just love her and don't let her out of the counseling if she comes up with something like "I was just kidding".
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• my thought is - try to remain calm - usually they are asking for attention/ help dealing w/ things. Get her to a psychologist that specializes in teens - ask about medications & natural mood elevators. Keep her active and doing physical things - this helps keep the mind busy and boost natural endorphins - then plan something she can look forward to - god bless :)
    tobchintz

Answer by tobchintz at 9:59 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• depression is very serious. A lot of people don't understand it. One of the things that is hardest to understand is that you don't have to be sad to be depressed. Depression is an illness. Don't walk but Run to the doctor and demand that she be seen NOW! She may even need inpatient care.
    I suffered from depression for quite a while, and people couldn't understand because I had a lot of things going for me, nice car, good job, great husband, nice house..etc...but I was still depressed. I couldn't explain it. She may need medication to help the chemical imbalance in her brain. I will pray that you and your family get the help you need.
    ReesesDream

Answer by ReesesDream at 1:23 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Take her to a counsellor. It sounds to me like she just wants attention.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:11 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• "Take her to a counsellor. It sounds to me like she just wants attention. "

That is a stupid thing to say! Believe it or not, not all kids say things to get attention. This child could truly be ill or have other issues her parents don't know about and her mother is seeking help and you reply with an ignorant comment. Hope your child or children never go to you one day saying the same thing.

Anonymous

• I agree with the others! She needs to be in counseling. Even if it is an empty threat...it should NEVER EVER EVER be taken lightly. There is something bothering her enough to even make her say that. She needs to know that you are always there and not just as a silent fact, but you need to stress to her that you are here for her, that you love her, continuously no matter how annoyed she may seem. Please seek professional help with this. My thoughts and prayers are with your daughter and your family!!!
    EmilyRoseLovett

Answer by EmilyRoseLovett at 2:23 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I'm entitled to an opinion. and that's it. I know too many 15 yr old girls that have said that to get attention. and note I said take her to a counsellor. Get over it.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:34 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Wether it is for attention or not she needs to be seen by a counselor. What if it is not for attention? What if it is not an emplty threat? Get her help NOW!!! Dont take this lightly!
    capemomofalyssa

Answer by capemomofalyssa at 3:17 PM on Nov. 7, 2008