Luteal Phase Defect

I think I might have LDP, doctors appointment next week.
Anyone here have had or is dealing with LDP? What are you taking/doing?
Would love to hear some successful stories to lift up my spirits.

isabellem

Asked by isabellem at 8:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• YES!!!!! This was the culprit of 3 miscarriages, all it is you ovulate later in your cycle so when an embryo implants you don't have enough of the essential hormones to sustain a pregnancy and usually ends in an early miscarriage. You want at least 12 days between when you ovulate to when your next period is supposed to start, someone with LDP usually ovulates 11 days before or less, in my case I would ovulated on day 20 of a 28 day cycle, which was only 8 days after before a period was supposed to start. All my pregnancies ended around 7 weeks. I took progesterone for the first 12 weeks of my pregnancy and he just turned 1 a week ago!
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I had a 9 day LP after I had an ectopic pregnancy. I was working on correcting it when I got pregnant with my son unexpectedly (well, I expected it lol, but it was unplanned, just got kinda irresponsible about birth control). Anyway, I had my progesterone levels drawn and they were low, so I asked for a prescription for progesterone suppliments. It only took a low dose (100 mg orally) and 4 days later my progesterone levels were where they should have been. I stayed on the suppliments until 15 weeks.

I can't say for certain that my cycle hadn't corrected itself for that pregnancy, and I can't say for certain that the progesterone is what helped me carry if it hadn't (it is actually not shown to decrease the liklihood of miscarriage), but I have a healthy 4 month old boy, born at home without complications.

I recommend correcting LPD BEFORE becoming pregnant. PM me if you want details :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• That's crazy because I had the LPD problem after an ectopic pregnancy as well.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Marine, my doctor said that after any pregnancy loss that low progesterone is common. It's not common for it to last so long lol. It took 6 months and then I became pregnant, so I don't know if that 7th month was normal or not. But the doctor said to wait at least 2 months before trying again because a cycle of losses can happen if you don't give your body time to get progesterone production back on track.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2010