warm baby bottles vs. cold baby bottles

I am doing a project for school. It is worth half my grade, out of the whole year. we have to make a hypothesis, and test it. My hypothesis is "Feeding a baby warm bottles rather than cold will make him sleep better." And one part we need is research on it. To see if anyone has ever tested it, anything like that. So I was wondering if any of you moms might have tried it, or something. Because i think the best research i can do is asking other moms. [Plus google had nothing lol.] But please help me out if you can!

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 7:53 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Even as adults they say to drink warm milk before bed to help you relax and sleep better. I would research what is in milk and formula that causes it to change when warmed. I think that its got something in it that helps relax you when warmed
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:00 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Warm bottles IMO work better. They soothe the baby by warming their body and relaxing them. Every baby is diff though. My friend's son would only take cold bottles. But he was not a good sleeper either and I think that has a lot to do with it. GL with your project!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:55 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Never thought about if it made them sleep better. My daughter just likes her milk warm. Pedi says I should try and stop doing that but I say why? I don't see any harm if they want it warm. People put warm milk in cereal.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 7:57 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I BF for the first 6 months, but if he was getting bottles while I was at work or supplemented with formula, they were room temperature. Then after the 6 months, all room temp. Now, at 14 months, he will drink juice cold, but I still take the chilll off his milk before giving it to him. Good Luck!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 8:00 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Well....my grandmother always said giving a baby cold milk would kill them, but then again she was always full of old wives tales like that (once she screamed at me for reaching above my head, claiming I'd wrap the cord around my baby's neck). I never even though about giving my baby cold milk, though. Warming it was just something you did, like burping. Looking back I can see the logic in it now. Drinking icy drinks can lower your core temperature, like in hot weather or during a fever. In tiny babies, it seems to me like giving cold milk would be a real danger, especially in newborns that already have hard time maintaining their temperature.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 8:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Warm bottles are easier for them to digest then cold bottles
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 8:37 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My son will down a warm bottle in 7 mins flat, but if it is cool or even room temp, it takes him 20 mins to get about half down and he has worn hpart of that!
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 9:13 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Cold bottles always gave/give my dd a stomach ache, whereas warm bottles do not...i've even had friends tell me that...and when I have been given a could bottle by hubby's little brother (cus they ALWAYS want to help and do everything) dd doesn't take it very well.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:26 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I never warmed a bottle for my kids. I always gave them room temp ones. Except when they were teething, then I would give them cold ones. I really thinks on what ever your kid is use to from day one.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 9:52 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The reasoning behind warm bottles for infants is it is easier for them to digest. Cold bottles need to be heated to a certain temp by the body before it can be digested. That means more work for that body. If the body is concentrating on heating the food, it is possible that the body is not able to rest as if it wasn't work as hard. Mamapotter has a good take on it too. All good points to reserach. Have fun!

Try researching the digestive track and what happens in the digestive track. I"m sure reaserach has been done on the topic in general, but maybe not about how it affects babies in specific? -- I'd heard that when dieting, you should drink cold water. The extra work the body does helps burn off more energy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Nov. 7, 2008