for those of you with baby girls.....

do they like to grab their genital area all the time when you're trying to change their diaper? my sons did....i thought it was because it was dangly lol, but i am just so paranoid that she is not grabbing it out of curiosity, but because she has some kind of infection. it doesn't look red (well not before she starts grabbing all over it), there is not discharge or anything. is it just a normal thing or should i be concerned? she does it so rough....it's very hard to hold her hands and legs to prevent her from digging down there. she's driving me nuts. she is 14 mo if that matters. any advice is appreciated :D

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest daughter didn't do it, but youngest (12 months) does. Its different for all kids, but it usually doesn't mean anything..just that they are more grabby.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It's normal. Girls will explore just as boys will. Just move her hands and tell her it's private. Eventually she will understand that she isn't supposed to explore around other people.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• she's probally just thinking "hmm what's that?"
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• ok, good lol. i was so worried because she is literally the only girl in my family and friends kids, so the only person to ask would be my mom about me and my sister, but she died and my dad never had diaper duty lol.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have 4 girls, and they all did it - I washed their hands after the diaper change if they were successful!
    Anonymous

• It is completely normal. Just like when your son did it he was doing it out of curiosity. Also, there's a new feeling when they explore that they're interested in. Even if they don't know what it means, if it means anything at all. They're simply just investigating their body.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My daughter is 21 months and it's almost inappropriate the way she is ALWAYS grabbing at it, she LOVES to be naked but she actually will try to stick things IN it if we let her run around naked, or I will find her pulling it apart and looking at it, it's just curiousity, I have talked to her doctor and he said it was perfectly normal at that age!!
    AverysMommy5

Answer by AverysMommy5 at 11:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Discovering body parts is quite normal.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2010