Blood sugar

Im am 28 weeks pregnant and found out i failed my sugar test and have to go back for the 3 hour test. They said my sugar level was 146 is that bad?? Does this mean i prolly have gestational diabetis? This is my 3rd baby and never had this be4.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Actually, 146 is not that high, but it is above the norm. Fasting (before breakfast) blood sugars should be below 120. I'm diabetic, and on a bad day mine can run 250-300. I had similar results with my first pregnancy and when I went back for the 3 hour it was ok (this was several years before I developed diabetes). I honestly don't know why they still even do this test. My last pregnancy was 5 years ago, and my OB then did the hemoglobin A1C test, which is just blood work. It can tell them your average blood sugar for the past 3 months.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 8:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Every pregnancy is different.. some women have GD for all pregnancies, some never have it, and then some have it for one pregnancy and not for another.
    GD is caused by the placenta and how it reacts to glucose in your body.
    It is vital to know whether you do have it. There are several complications associated with GD, such as low birth weight, high birth weight, difficult deliveries that can cause broken bones in the baby, and stillbirth.
    We lost our first daughter to GD. She was stillborn at 36 weeks. If you do end up having it, make sure that you educate yourself about it and follow the diet. You are your best advocate!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 8:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2008