Anyone ever get this feeling...?

A couple times a day, I get this thumping feeling at the top of my belly-right underneath & in the middle of my boobs. It feels like a vein pulsing. It goes on for a little while, goes away and then comes back-seems to be more noticeable at night. I feel like it is way too high up to be the baby plus Im pretty sure I feel the baby lower down in my belly and was wondering if anyone else ever gets this before I call the doctor. I am 4 months

dez1379

Asked by dez1379 at 9:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Is it high enough to be your heart? Like palpitations?
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I get that when I'm hungry, pregnant or not. It sounds like the inferior vena cava, the large blood vessle in your abdomen. You probably feel it more at night because you are relaxed not distracted, maybe have an empty stomach, and so you feel the blood coursing through it better.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Thsnks Ati 13- didn't know about that vena cava thing cause its not near my heart but more at the top of the abdomen--so you dont think its something wrong with the baby? Im so paranoid all the time!!!
    dez1379

Comment by dez1379 (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I really think it's the vena cava. Blood flow to the uterus increases during pregnancy and your abodomen distends and you're feeling for movement in your abdomen... it's more likely that you'll feel it. To confirm, the next time you feel it, take your pulse at the same time and I bet you'll see they match up perfectly (but remember that if you feel your pulse off just a little from when you feel the pulsating in your belly, it's just because they are different distances from your heart, not because they are different things, go for rhythm, not exact timing, if they happen at the same intervals, it's your vena cava).

I highly doubt there is anything wrong :) It's normal to be worried!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 10, 2010