ezema..BAD not sure where to post this sry!!

my son is 2 and he has it very very bad i have tried lotions and creams is there anything that you do with your child or SO that helps he scratches to where he bleeds..i have had medication prescibed for it and it seemed to make it worse so anything you got i will try im just trying to find something to help him and make it not bother him as much

Mommmy_To_3

Asked by Mommmy_To_3 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Ask the doc to test him for allergies. Also the prescription for it... have you used it for at least a week at a time? My youngest had eczema pretty bad and the ointment didn't seem to help until day 7-8.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Have you tried Lansinoh? It's for cracked nipple when breastfeeding, but I tried it on my dd's eczema and it worked wonders. I just globbed it on her hands when she fell asleep at night, and it cleared right up. It's pure lanolin, so it seems to work better and stay on her hands to protect them better. It's pretty greasy so I only use it at night, and sometimes a really thin coat of it during the day.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have the same thing. Poor baby. My heart aches for him, I know how he feels. Something I do,that has seemed to help,and also helps with the scarring, is Vitamin E oil. Not sure why, but I don't seem to itch as much after I put it on. Bless his precious little heart. I'll be praying he gets some relief.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Put socks on his hands so he can't scratch. Pin them to his sleeves. Have you taken him to the Dr? My daughter has had it all her life. It might get better as he gets older but it usually sticks around getting worse with cold, heat or stress. The Dr can give meds to help cler it up. We have always used CereVe cream(not the lotion, it isn't thick enough) to keep her skin moist
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Give him a bath in mineral oil..about 1/4 cup to the water. Also try putting Eucirin (or something like it; wal mart has a brand of it..the kind in the jar that is really thick) on him after the bath along with the prescribed ointment. My 4 yr old had it really bad & after doing this for a few weeks it cleared it up.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 10:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Also...forgot to add...make sure you wash his clothes & bedding in only non scented, non colored laundry soap & softner. I use All free & clear and Downy Free.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 10:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My son is 10 mo and has had the same issue since birth I....
    make homemade laundry detergent (only has to be done 2 a year)
    use aquafore (sp?) on his whole body 4-5 times a day (at each diaper change)
    give a bath as infrequently as possible
    use prescription hydocortinzone cream on the worst spots 2 times a day (when needed)
    also conola oil works in the bath (be CAREFUL it's slippery)

THE BEST----- Baby Exzama Cream by genital naturals (WE BROUGHT A CASE)
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• benydryl, lotion like eucerin with a steriod cream from dr, and keep the area cool, heat aggravates it and makes it itchy
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 10:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• The dermatologist told me specifically to make sure to give my child a bath EVERY DAY. I used to skip because I thought that was aggrevating it...turns out its bad for it. They need the moisture.
    Anonymous

• A friend of a friend took her son off gluten and she said it was a huge difference with his skin. You might look into diet changes!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2010