How do you deal with work place drama?

I work in a steak house resturaunt(applebee's). I like what I do, I love talking with the customers and over all even though its not my ideal job I still pretty much like what I do. It's fast paced work and on my most days its decent money. Anyway I like to go in, be friendly, do what I'm supposed to do and do it well. And go home. Well the people are work with are mostly catty dramtic women who love to gossip, talk about one another, b*tch and complain about what they have to do and how so and so didn't do this, or they did this wrong, rather than focusing on what they are actually supposed to do. Everyone is always in a bad mood, and mad about something and they argue back and forth with one another. How can you go to work and do what your supposed to do with out letting the drama get to you or getting it brought into it just for being a bystander?

BlainesMommy09

Asked by BlainesMommy09 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• You put blinders on and do your job and go home. That simple. Don't include yourself in it. Let them do what they are gonna do. You have no control over that.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Went through the same thing at my job. Honestly, I had to completely remove myself. I am friendly and speak...but that's it...no personal talk, and if they attemp..I excuse myself with one task or another. You don't want to appear as an arrogant bitch, but you don't want to let your boss think you are involved in drama...it could hinder your ability to move up ( if that's a goal)
    bbbrussell20

Answer by bbbrussell20 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Like a previous post said, you put blinders on. Just like a Horse pulling a buggy, they have blinders on to avoid them seeing all around them. Which helps prevent them being spooked by oncoming cars and pedestrians. Except, you would clearly do it in the figurative manner .. At least I would hope. Just do your job, interact with whatever friendly conversation you can find, and go about your day. If someone presents you with something that you don't want to be apart of just keep silent. If you have to direct people back to doing what they're supposed to and then go about your day.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• FWR, I have always just avoided the drama. I get along with everyone and am not extremely close with anyone. I've been working with mainly woman for over 30 years (nursing). We just get along-maybe we're just too busy!

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:44 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Grow up and ignore it

Answer by rkoloms at 8:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2010