do you know someone who

cheats by adding additional children on their taxes? I have an aunt that once tried to ask if she could use my son on her taxes and she would give me $200.

1. I do not give my ss#'s and stuff like that out to anybody ...especially family!
2. I know you get a minum $1,500 per child. So to short change me you think I am a fool.
3. What makes her think I would be down for doing some illegal crap? Just cause we family or somethign??IDK get people.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 10:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• i have an aunt or cousin I dont know what she is to me but for the longest time she kept having children so she could get what benefits she was allowed out of it. I think she has 9 altogether. Now thats just going overboard if you ask me.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• wow.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 10:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I didn't even know people try to pull that stuff. But then I have never done taxes becuase I just have ssi.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• yeah you are allowed to claim 9 on your taxes to avoid paying anything. You dont even need kids to do that. I have done that (claim 9) on pay checks.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My ex husband did that before i met him, he claimed alot of dependants, and got a great tax return back. He was from El Salvador, and when i married him, he was paying it back. Found that out the first year we filed taxes . As for allowing someone to use my children to claim, NO never ....seems so crazy to even think that someone would allow someone else to do that.
    VGonzalez73

Answer by VGonzalez73 at 10:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• That's Fraud. A federal offense where BOTH you and your aunt would face prison time if you infact went through with it. I don't care how much money they said they would give me, there's no way anyone (family or otherwise) would be inlisting me in a scam against the government. If she gets caught she will face prison time for Fraudulant information on her taxes.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It will catch up with her in the end. Oh and by the way, that figure is going to go down soon....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• What figure? anyway yeah I wasnt going to do it no matter what. He is my kid and I do know it is a federal crime on both sides. I am so surprised you ladys did not know that. Where I am it is so common place for people to let people claim their kids. Especially for a person that wouldnt be able to claim this is a way for them to get money. Granted the person give it to them. I hear so many stories when someone stiff a lady or something. No one ever tells the government around here.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 1:46 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• $1500 minimum per child??? I'm pretty sure the child tax credit is $1000.

Anyway that's beside the point. No, I don't know anyone that does that. I do know that you used to be able to claim a child without having their social security number. The year that law changed millions of children 'disappeared.' So I guess it''s not unusually for people to cheat on their taxes. I just don't understand why. Tax debt doesn't go away. They can put liens on anything and everything (okay that really depends on which state you live in) they can garnish your wages without suing you first, clean out your checking and savings account even if they are joint. It's just a messy business.

Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Oh yeah I know. But I am guessing people that do it dont really own anything so they are like I got nothing to lose. Like the aunt that asked she is a social worker now and does a non profit and recives public assistence.
    I had a girl that let relatives claim her kids (because they watched them for a bit) and she got like 1500 for 3 (what the relatives gave her for using them).
    I know someone that told me you can just make recipets claiming you did a job and collect from that...saying ur self employed.I'm thinking about doing that since I did have to pay so many babysitters. Just in 16 weeks I spent 3g on childcare...broke.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2010