Do you water down pet milk?

(older women would know this) I am considering giviny my son pet milk so he can gain more weight (calories). Do you dilute it or give it half and half (water and milk).

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 10:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• Are you talking about milk that is evaporated or condensed or is it milk that you give the cat??
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• carnation milk
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I never heard of it... is it goat milk? It should say on the can if it's condensed. Is your son dangerously underweight? Any reason you don't want to use formula, or is he too old?
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Why would you use that instead of regular whole milk? It won't help, really - if he needs to gain weight, you'd be better off mixing carnation instant breakfast into regular whole milk than giving him evaporated milk.

Anyway. Evaporated milk, when properly reconstituted, is whole milk - in other words, if you mix 1 can of milk with 1 can of water, it's the same fat/calories at regular whole milk.

This, of course, is me assuming that by "pet milk", you're talking about the PET brand of evaported milk. I sure hope you're not talking about sweetened condensed milk. Just give him regular whole milk!
    Anonymous

• Not I said consentrated aka Pet milk. Carnation makes both brands. I know the condensed is sweet (I make banoffie pie with it). Well my doc suggested using Pet milk in cornbread(non diluted) to make it more dense.

Yeah I use to have pet milk when my mom ran out of milk and I wanted ceral or something. it's really good in mac and cheese. He is not under weight just needs to gain a few lbs. He has pedisure once a day....
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 1:42 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If he already has pediasure once a day, he needs more FOOD - not more drinks. Avocados, peanut butter, real butter slathered on toast, use the pet milk in casseroles, on his cereal, on his oatmeal (where you can also put butter, yum). But if you're set on using drinks to get more in him, carnation instant breakfast made with whole milk would be much better - not only because of the fat/calories, but because he'll get more vitamins and minerals. Any doctor will tell you that, that that would be better than condensed milk.
    Anonymous