can a doctor tell if you are having twins at 6 weeks ultrasound?

I am going for my 6 week checkup and twins run in dh's side of the family (he is even a twin) so I was just cerious if the doctor could tell that early? If hecan is there also a chance that he wont be able to tell that early?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Twins in your husband's side have no bearing on you having twins.
    Anonymous

• Identical twins are random events. Everyone has the same chance. Fraternal twins do have genetic components..meaning..you release two eggs. This can run in your family. But there are also other factors such as age & race that up the chances of this. Like previous poster said, your husband being a twin & there being twins in HIS family won't make YOUR chances higher.
    Anonymous

• are you sure....It actually runs in his dads side of the family...his dads mom is a twin then his dads brothers are twins then his dads nephews are twins, but then him and his wife had twins (which was my dh and his sister)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• twins run in my family n its missed 2generations so far, if they are fraturnal twins then yes cos you would of released 2 eggs but if they are not then he might not too sure with that
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Yes. I am sure. Look it up.
    Anonymous

• They do say that twins isn't genetic, but I would have to disagree. Either way, six weeks could make it hard to tell, seeing as the baby is soo small and has more room to hide. However, it is very possible for them to detect if both babies are cooperating.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• before dh and his siter his mom and dad had a girl before them, but she was stillborn...then she had them
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• HIS sperm cant make YOU release two eggs lol
    Anonymous

• thanks everyone, but may i ask too why everyone posted anon lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• As anon said, the kind of twins that run in families are the kind of twins that come from a woman releasing two eggs (fraternal). Sorry! Maybe you'll still have twins!!! :)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2010