Is my 18 mnth old having night terrors?

For the 3 or 4 days my 18mnth old son has been waking more than once in the middle of the night crying like he is actually scared. He has a night light, and even though this has happened before in the past I had found a cause and it was fixed after that.(he was waking with heartburn) This time its not the cause. He has always been a good sleeper in his own room and the situation hasnt changed any. Has anyone else had to deal with this? I am not sure what to do for him since he is not old enough to tell me if/what is scaring him, if thats even the cause. I know that nightmares are a possibility, but thats only once in a blue moon for him, and isnt that a little wierd to be so many nights in a row? Just wanted to see if anyone had any advice for experience with something like that at this age. Thank sin advance!

mccurry328

Asked by mccurry328 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 15month old in our old house wouldnt like going to bed in her room, im very much on a spirual side and i came to find out there was something in her room that was scaring her she would wake up screaming in the night but now we have moved n i dare say we dont have anything nasty in here
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have to say that really scares me, but I do believe in those possiblities. But he Loves his room and we have lived in the same house for years and he has always been good at sleeping in his own room. Knowing that do you think that under I could rule that out? or is it possible to be a sudden thing?
    mccurry328

Comment by mccurry328 (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• explain to him its OK to be scared but remember mom always here and get to hold teddy bear or blanket to keep him safe. that worked for my boys// let them know u are there for them.. they do stop give it time
    mortharofboys

Answer by mortharofboys at 11:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My son started going through something similar around 15 month, but I think it's just his budding imagination. The pediatrician says they can start having bad dreams around this age. It also always seems worse when he's a little over-tired (like when he was up for 2 hours scared in the middle of the previous night). Does your son wake tend to wake up crying around the same time each night? At least 2 other mom in our playgroup mentioned their kids are going through something similar, so I think this is a really normal thing. Just be there to comfort him, and try to help him make up any missed sleep the next day. It will get better. It's been about a month since this started, and he still wakes up crying/scared maybe 2 times a week, but I can usually get him calm enough to go back to sleep pretty quick (and of course I had him checked - he's all healthy). I think his bear helps, and 30 minute earlier bed-times helps.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2010