Is the Bible a perfect source of morality?

Why/why not?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think it depends on the individual looking to it.There are many examples throughout history of people using the Bible as inspiration for their morality and achieving saintlike loving kindness. So for many, yes, it is a perfect source of morality, as is evident in their lives and actions.

Yet for others it isn't. There are those who choose to use the Bible to justify not so moral things. But I don't believe the fault lies in the Bible. It lies in those who misuse it, whether or not they are aware of any distortion in their understanding...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:06 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• For some I am sure they believe it is, there are many lessons of faith and morality in the parables and stories. IMO it is not the source of morality, nor a perfect source. Nothing written or intrpreted by man is perfect.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• its a decent guide but perfect? no. The Torah is a good guide, as well. Some people don't even need a religious book to know how to lead a good life.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:06 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• NO. If the Bible is our moral guide, then how can it make pornographic statements such as: “...they may eat their own dung and drink their own piss with you" (2 Kings 18:27)? Is that what you want your children reading on Sunday?
    SA 13:1-14 King David's son, Amnon, rapes his half-sister, Tamar.
    KI 6:29 "So we cooked my son and ate him. The next day I said to her, 'Give up your son so we may eat him,' but she had hidden him."
    GE 34:1-2 Shechem defiles Dinah.
    GE 31:17, GE 36:6, DT 21:15, JG 8:30, SA 5:13, KI 11:3, CH 14:3, CH 11:21, 13:21 Polygamy is condoned. (Note: David is one of the polygamists. He is an angel of God, SA 19:27, and always fulfills God's will,AC 13:22.)
    NU 31:18, 35, JG 21:12 Young virgins are considered a spoil of war and can be taken for the use of the victors.

Need I say more?? This is not the kind of "morality" I wish to follow.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:42 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Nope because it contradicts itself.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:51 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• No... it seems more like a "do as I say, not as I do" kind of thing.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 2:25 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• No. As with any book of this type it does contain some wonderful lessons on morals, but there are also those which simply work against everything we believe in today. For example, I have seen scripture used in order to back up sexism and even slavery as "okay." Neither of which are, or will ever be okay... On the other hand there are those lessons which are just as valid today as they were then, and still others which the vast majority of today's readers simply don't understand...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:53 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• No. I am not religious so in my opinion it freaks me out that God enjoyed the smell of a sacrificed lamb....that is weird to me and it sounds psychotic.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 11:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Depends on your idea of morality, I suppose. Raping women, killing infants, handing rape victims to their rapists in marriage, slavery, I could go on. I guess some people think those are good morals.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:28 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• dbondani: there is a lack of understanding what that means about the sweet incense of the lamb. When sin is burned the smell is the smell of freedom ... it is symbolic)

Yes the bible is the perfect book concerning morality but that is not why it was written.. it was written as a love letter to us from His heart through man to share with us how much He loves us!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 11, 2010