Do you think that couples should live together before marriage?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I do, just because when me and my husband lived together I learned soooo many things about him. You rfeally don't know a person until you live with them!!
    bbbrussell20

Answer by bbbrussell20 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• me and my husband lived together almost imediatly after getting together
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I don't think its right for everyone but its right for me. I'd rather live with someone before I get married that way I'll know for sure without a doubt that I can live with that person for the rest of my life. But that is just what I want for myself
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 11:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• If they want to. I think just about everyone I know has lived together before they got married. I'm not endorsing it but I think it can give an idea of what to expect. I lived with one other person years ago and it was an eye opener. I learned quickly what I could and could not live with.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I agree. I think that there are things that you can not possibly know about a person until you live with them. It took a lot of getting used to for my husband and I, and we weren't married yet. Personally, I've known a lot of couples who ended up divorced because when they finally lived together, they realized things that they couldn't live with. That's not to say I'm against couples waiting to live together until marriage, but personally, I'm glad we lived together first. To each their own!
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Studies show divorce rates are higher for those who do live together first
    Anonymous

• Studies show divorce rates are higher for those who do live together first "

I know, but from people I've known personally, that doesn't match up.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Anon, most people who DON'T live together first are fundamentalist Christians, who have lower divorce rates in general. NOt because of happier unions but because of the belief that divorce is wrong.

It's a self-selecting group, it's not a controlled study.

I lived with my husband alone together for 9 months before we married and with my family for a year and a half before that. It worked for us. We knew each other well enough to know we could live with all the weird habits and annoyances for the rest of our lives.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Anon, most people who DON'T live together first are fundamentalist Christians, who have lower divorce rates in general. NOt because of happier unions but because of the belief that divorce is wrong."

I've never really thought of it that way, but that's an excellent point!
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• very interesting discussion! I have to say that I don't think one way or the other is the "right" way, if two people are committed to making a marriage work then that is what matters. I lived with my DH before we were married and I am glad that I did, it taught me a lot about him and a lot about myself! My best friend lived with her DH before they were married-she went away to college out of state and he couldn't stand being away from her so he moved there too, they moved in together and she remained a virgin until they were married-true story!!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 11:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2010