Have you tried Depo?

I'm looking into bc for when I have the baby. Iwas thinking of the depo because I heard it works good. I've also heard it burns when it goes it and you can have hair loss and weight gain. If you've tried it, do you recommend it? Why or why not? Are the injections painful?

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Health

• I was on Depo for 5 years I would NOT recommend it I now currently have Implanon and I LOVE it!!!
    alyssasmommy318

Answer by alyssasmommy318 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I was on depo for 7 years and I DO NOT reccomend it. It caused me to have cervical cancer.
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Why not?
    reigndrops12689

Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 11:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Oh my goodness ready4baby. Did they say exactly how it caused it? Are you alright now?
    reigndrops12689

Comment by reigndrops12689 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• The injection hurts as bad as burning yourself with a curling iron an when I was on it I went from 115-159 was not happy now I got stretch marks that are not pregnancy related
    lonemom1987

Answer by lonemom1987 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I am good now. I was told I wouldnt have babies and I have 2 and 1 on the way. It somehow affected my cervix
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 12:21 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I HATED it. I don't remember the actual injections, but I gained 45 POUNDS in 9 MONTHS on Depo. NEVER again. Have you considered an IUD? They're the most effective form of birth control on the market. If you don't like that, there are always the pill, the patch, and Nuva Ring. I've heard good and bad things about all BC methods, but few good things about Depo, other than only having to worry about it once a month (and it's a very narrow window you have to get it in, and if you miss it, they make you wait until you have a pregnancy test, and all this other weird stuff. Don't do it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:45 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I took it for about 9mo i think (its been 3 yrs so im starting to forget).. I got off of it after researching it.. The needle didnt bother me at all.. I just read to many stories about it to keep doing it.. not worth it..
    We still have not had baby #2. but we are not exactly trying either...
    I would not recommend it. I personally feel the best BC is the pill, its been around the longest, you still have a monthly period (no only have 3 period a year pill either, i dont think that is right)...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• The right birth control is different for each women. What works for me may not be right for you and vice versa. The only way to know if depo is right for you is to try it out becuase each woman's body reacts differently. That being said I LOVE the depo shot. When I got my first shot it was a week before my period was due and I spotted lightly for a day or two that week. After that, nothing at all. And it is effective, if you get your shot on time.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:59 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would NOT suggest taking Depo! I was given Depo to try to help with Endometriosis, Cysts & Ovarian/Cervical Cancer, it was suppose to slow the growth, stop my hormones & they also gave it to me to gain weight because I had lost so much from being sick. A few days after taking the first shot I started bleeding & the bleeding did not stop until 6 months later when I had to have another emergency surgery, and it was extremely painful and heavy for the whole 6months, I also ended up having a blood transfusion. It caused my illness' to become a lot worse, it like doubled the growth of all the endometriosis and cancer. I did also lose my hair, but I'm not sure if it was from the depo or my other treatments. I did gain weight 15lbs in three weeks & some of my friends who have tried depo also gained weight. Of course I know are situations are different & everybody reacts differently but I strongly suggest seeking other BC.
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 5:24 AM on Dec. 11, 2010