Zumba - what if you're not interested in losing weight?

I'm trying to figure out if Zumba would be good for me. It looks like tons of fun and a great workout, but I'm not interested in losing weight - in fact, I can't. I'm 5'3 and weigh 100lbs.

I am interested in toning muscles, getting a good sweaty workout, and having fun though... but is Zumba good for that? Or should I find something else and avoid cardio?

Holly.

Asked by Holly. at 12:02 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Oh yeah. Zumba will tone every aspect of your body. It's not about losing weight, but rather toning up and defining what you have. Trust me, there will be parts of your body aching that you didn't even know existed.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:03 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Exercise is good for everyone, regardless of whether or not they need to lose weight. If DH needs to lose weight, he needs to cut his calories. That's the biggest factor for most people who are overweight. I know it's been mine. I've cut my portions in half, and I've lost over 30 lbs so far. Try getting a personal trainer, if you'd like to get toned, and you need some guidance. Zumba can be a lot of fun, and it would be nice for you to do together.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:34 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Im starting zumba in Jan along with cutting carbs b/c i need to loose weight!! My big thing is back fat. . I dont have a ton but I do not want it in my wedding dress!! haha
    Huntersmom209

Answer by Huntersmom209 at 4:12 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I think Zumba would be great for you. Try 30 Day Shred
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:41 AM on Jan. 6, 2011

• Thanks! But it does help with weight loss too, right?

The reason I ask is, it just occurred to me that I might try and get my DH to do it with me, and he is overweight. So, in theory, he could lose weight while I tone up, right?

(Sorry, all I know about this is what I've seen in YouTube videos.)
    Holly.

Comment by Holly. (original poster) at 12:05 AM on Dec. 11, 2010