Cold Cuts

Is it okay to eat cold cuts sparingly? Or are they really that bad to eat during pregnancy?

shanapiv

Asked by shanapiv at 12:05 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I ate them occasionally and I was fine. Still, I'd eat them sparingly, if at all.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:16 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• From what I was told by my doc during pregnancy, you should only eat the kind that you get at the deli, not to stuff in the cold section of the store.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 12:09 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Try to find cold cuts with no added nitrates, or, if possible, nitrate-free. That's one of the big problems. I know Trader Joe's carries some that have no added nitrates. Also, if you're going to eat them, zap them in the microwave until they steam. It will kill any pathogenic bacteria harboring in there. Then you should be fine. =)
    I ate turkey sandwiches many times during my pregnancy!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:18 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• NO, if you eat them cold. Yes, if you heat them up first. You could get Listeria from cold cuts, harming you and your baby.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 1:17 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My doctor told me that they were ok as long as they were straight out of the fridge or heated to steaming before eaten and not to eat them if they had been sitting out, like on a party platter or from a picnic cooler.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:18 AM on Dec. 11, 2010