I met someone in my sons playgroup today, she told me for christmas she buys a couple of toys from the consignment shop, & what ever her boys didn't get for christmas she goes & buys her toys after the holidays

This sounds pretty good being I have a 3 yr old & 1 year old .....what do you think I am tight with money this year...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't think it's a bad idea at all. For one, your children are still pretty young and they won't even notice that their toys aren't brand new. Personally, I don't want my children to grow up with an attitude that it's all about the gifts and money spent anyway. That's not really what the holiday is about after all. As a mom, I want to give my little girl everything I can but, as we all know, sometimes that's not always possible. I try to express the charitable part of christmas as much as possible also. I want my daughter to know that even though she may not be getting everything she wants when she wants it, that there are children out there who have nothing. I hope I can raise her to give as much as she can and not be concerned so much with the getting.
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 8:14 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Yea! Why not... If it saves money.. Which would you/your child prefer - only a few new gifts under the tree and thats it.. or have a "late" Christmas, get more & get what you want!...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:32 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• go for it they dont know the difference
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:26 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Heck why not. I'm with MommaTasha, I'd rather my kids have a nice pile of gifts to open, than scrimp to get them a few new things.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 12:37 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with that. Everyone does the best they can and that is an inventive way to buy presents.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:43 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Many gifts are so nice to save up for and I used to believe that. I saw how things are very hard to buy and save for, not that it's a hard thing to save money, it's quite the opposite, but it's gotten to be the ''gold standard'' of giving- and -receiving when one day is the only thing. Material wealth and things to get or buy are endless and go on all year. Newer gifts are available all year also. These are not so important that a set aside day should dominate our minds. People are really aware of this. So it's way to much to dodge crowds, and sit in traffic lights, and have upset emotions, not to mention what if the lines are long, too much emphasis has been put on the way to get people to buy, buy buy, and get in debt and make light about getting in debt, only later to see that they are so miserable or should I say stuck in buying things, that the rest of the year they are now out of ideas, or worn down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Not that I need a certain day to be buying, or be giving or act the same so it feels competitive with the world; and the crowds, and the reason to do things *like everyone else*-- the kindness and love standard with our family / children is that nothing and nobody will dominate our mindset or choices of when,how, or shat to get our children, whether it comes from a consignment shop or from a bag of hand-me-downs, or if it is made all in Japan, or across the road. We aren't cookie cutter. Each person is a gift of God or should be reminded they are every day. Nice as some think one day is a scheduled reason standard to give, if anyone else does that they do. I don't believe that. Plain and simple. I am creative, kind, and happy to give something or make time for people at least every day, so are many others
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If you were tight with your money, you would keep it in the bank. Let the gg's get the toys. LOL
    sexyfancyface

Answer by sexyfancyface at 1:58 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• When I was younger, we had Christmas in March just because things were tight at the time. Must have been when my parents got their income tax or something, now that I think about it. But either way, it was worth the wait. I was sad around Christmas, but I felt super special in March! I say do it!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 2:20 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Honestly she is doing what she can do. I think alot now of the way we over bought and overindulged our children. It seems that every year I have to meet that bar. Do you know what I mean?
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 3:21 AM on Dec. 11, 2010