My son has social anxieties does not work we argue all the time he is 26 i want to put him out should I ?

longtime

Asked by longtime at 12:41 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• He is 26. I would.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:44 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If you can not deal with him not working & you can not get along then YES- i think it was time for him to go- i have lived most of my life with Major Anxiety so, i understand he has a hard time but, that is Not a Excuse for him not to Work or get along with others- Wishing you lots of luck!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:46 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• At 26 he should at least be working and trying to save money to move out. You don't say how severe his anxities are though so it's hard to say. Maybe you make life at home to easy & comfortable for him. As long as he knows you'll tolerate his behavior, he'll continue..Best of luck!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• As someone who has suffered from anxiety for most of my life, I would say yes, you need to give him a date to move out by and allow him to set himself up to do so at the imposed date. I worked from home because I couldn't handle working in any other type of situation, but there are jobs out there that don't require a lot of social interaction, he simply needs to explore his options. 26 is definitely old enough to grow up. Anxiety problems don't have to debilitate him or leave you with a child for the rest of your life. If he's having trouble, suggest he see a therapist to work through the transition.
    Version2.0

Answer by Version2.0 at 1:34 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• YES- kick him out.

I am also 26, and I'm an independent, well adjusted person because my parents didn't coddle me, or make excuses for my behaviour when I was growing-up. Don't have misguided compassion with your son; letting him overcome his problems will be the greatest gift.
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 3:11 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• yes.. or he will be in your home when he is 40.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 5:35 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Yes, if he can't respect you and your home and WORK then he needs to leave. I would kick him out.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:23 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My true beleive is if your kids don't like my rules they will move out. Give him some rules to follow and stick to them. If he don't want to follow them then he needs to leave and see if he can make it on his own. He will either find someone else to support him or he will figure out how to do it on his own.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Encourage him to get help for his anxiety disorder and THEN discuss what his future will hold.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I have a friend who is schizophrenic, and he lived with his mother til he was 27 years old. His mother finally got fed up after years of him partying and found him an apartment and now takes care of his disability money and puts it toward rent. Every mom has a limit!
    kayceeisit

Answer by kayceeisit at 4:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2010