i needs opinons please help

i have a chance to adopt my younger cousin hes two now and he needs a home. i have two boys of my own 8 and 4 i am a single mother and i do have the means to raise him right. i just want to know if its a good idea for me to take him or should i let him be adopted by a family with a mom and a dad?

stevensmommy007

Asked by stevensmommy007 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Adoption

• If you think you can provide for him financially and emotionally and you WANT to adopt him, I say go for it. My husband was raised by only his mother and turned out great!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Dad doesn't need to be in the picture of you can do this. What's to say 2 parents are better than 1? I think it's great that you want to do this, and keep him in the family. Plus, now your boys will have a little brother!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:58 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Go for it!!!! Your his family, he doesn't need new people!! Go girl:)
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:58 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I am also adopting my younger cousin, however he is already 16. And the hard part is that I have two 15 year olds already, as well as a 2 year old and a 7 month old. I DO have a S.O. but I feel so much better inside knowing that my cousin is with family and that he still gets to see extensions of his biological family. If I were to let him go to another family, we may not ever get to see him. You're doing a good thing. It's a tough decision, but it pays off in the end. Just remember to let your own children know that he's not replacing them, just joining the family. They need to adjust too. It took my older kids about 2 years to adjust. Now they act like siblings, they are each others best friends, and worst enemies. And together we have so much fun. Good luck to you. Message me if you need to talk more.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 1:58 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Cannot understand your question due to lack of punctuation.
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 3:17 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Two parents are not necessarily better than one.
    If you are interested in this, able to financially support another child, and give all the kids plenty of time-love-nurturing then I'd say it's worth considering.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:45 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Um SamKJones y did u even bother commenting if ur gonna be rude. Ur retarded if u couldnt read and understand tht question. It was pretty simple so no need to be a smartass or rude.
    Logan17000

Answer by Logan17000 at 5:21 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

Logan17000

• You said he is already two, and I am guessing that he knows you and probably feels very comfortable with you and your children. I think it's likely that he would do well to be kept with his family of origin. A two year old is old enough to know what is going on, and I think it would be more traumatic for him to lose everyone he knows. There is help available if you need it. We've been making it on a very tight budget. We shop at thrift stores, and in the past we've had to go to food pantries. You just do what you have to do to get by.

I've seen people say that they only want x number of kids so they can afford to send them all to college. That's a nice sentiment, but I don't think that's so important that it should limit your family size (if that is an issue). I've been able to go to college without asking my parents to contribute. There are grants and scholarships available. If you want to do this, go for it!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 4:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If you want to adopt this specific child, care about this specific child, and think your two older sons and this child will be able to adjust to the new family dynamic.....sure. And you said finances was not a burden. My suggestion is if this is what you would like to do then get counseling as an indivdual and as a family. Your child through adoption should also have private one on one counseling. It seems like a lot but work up front is smoother sailing for later.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:02 AM on Dec. 12, 2010