Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

My mom and sister are going on a flight with my child...

I am driving down where they are going so I would meet them because the airlines screwed me and my bf with our flight tickets and we dont want to drive with our baby 18 hours. So, will the airlines allow my almost 1 year old baby go with them out of state? Even with a birth certificate I feel like they wouldnt allow it? I've tried calling but lines are busy. We leave Monday morning...

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • Yes it should be allowed but you might want to get power of attorney that states your mom and sister are allowed to seek medical care for your son and are authorized to take him on the airline. It will help avoid problems.

    Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:21 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

  • It really depends. Some require a notarized letter. In all honesty when I travel with my kids. I just let them know who they are and they do not ask relation or anything. I never bring birth certificate. Now when I fly or leave the country I bring a notarized note from my husband saying that I have permission. But I have never been asked for that either.

    Answer by Melbornj at 1:23 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

  • i have flown and traveled with my niece many times and never been asked who she was related to ....but i always carry a notarized letter from her parents stating i can sign for any and all medical issues etc....

    Answer by cara124 at 9:23 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

  • i dont see why they wouldnt other than safety percautions but all you have to do is get power of attourney,notorized letter or something....keep calling the sirlines though just to be safe.....even if you have to stay on say you are leaving monday so wouldnt you want to make sure they are able to bring your child?

    Answer by SMALLfry05 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

  • I don't think it would even be an issue at all. No one checked to make sure my kids were mine when we flew. Different last names and all.

    Answer by manamott at 1:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

  • Call a travel agent if you can't get through to the airlines. I agree that they need a Power of Attorney giving them permission to take the child across state lines but it must be notarized.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.