Moms who breastfeed and all into natural medicine. (my DS is 8 months ol has cough)

hes been having a bad cough that wont go away. i dont vaxx, dont really do meds from anywhere only homeopathic and natural stuff but hes fussy and cranky. what can i give him? hes always waking up in the middle of night because hes coughing.. we co-sleep

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is too young for anything not prescribed by a doctor, but you can use vapor rub on his feet, run a cool mist humidifier, use saline and a nasal aspirator if he's congested.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:33 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I agree with the PP and happy to hear you don't vax. I would also suggest a steam bath - where you run only hot water in the shower and let the bathroom steam up. Sit in there for 20 minutes. It will help loosen his congestion to make his coughs more productive. Have him sleep with his head elevated and usually it's better cough wise to sleep on your side rather than your back. You aren't as likely to cough as much. You can rub Vicks on his chest also and cover it with his jammies. That will also help him breathe better. The best medicine is his breast milk so feed him often. Make sure to keep his nasal passages clear also. Use saline drops in his nose and an aspirator if you need to clear him so he can breathe better. Maybe ask the Dr. for some infant vitamins - liquid of course! Vitamin D is the best for colds and flu. Hope this helps and that he gets better soon! GL
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:41 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would put breast milk in the nose instead of saline drops. It is antimicrobial.

I also would use eucalyptus oil instead of vicks rub. Mix 3 drops with a teaspoon of olive oil and rub it on his feet.

Vitamin D drops.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2010