My 4 month old son only wants to nurse for 5-6 minutes total. He is eating every 3 -4 hours. Is this normal to only nurse that long?

SuzannaJ

Asked by SuzannaJ at 8:40 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if you are full of milk, it really only takes 7 to 10 minutes to get full, other then that the baby is on the breast for comfort, obviously your baby feels comforted enough, to eat and thats it. So i think its fine.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 8:42 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• some kids are super good at nursing, and coupled with a good flow, he may be getting all he needs. if he's making wet and soiled diapers and gaining weight, thats all the answer you need. if he isn't then I would keep putting him back. he also may be getting distracted, esp if he's gettig a little older. try nursing in a quiet dimly lit room to eliminate distractions.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:21 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• As long as he's having 6ish wet diapers a day...no problem! :)

Some children nurse slowly...some quickly. Many go back and forth. You can try offering more often...but don't supplement.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 11:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• As long as you are not restricting his time at the breast (trying to space feedings etc.) then he will make sure that he gets what he needs! Some babies will get a lot of milk in 5 minutes.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• If you're like me, it's totally normal. Mine only ever nursed in 5 minute intervals because I had an overactive letdown. Once they learned to eat as fast as my let down, feedings became super fast. As long as he's gaining normally, as long as he's not showing signs of dehydration or malnurishment, he's just fine. Try not to worry, I know it's hard for a new mom, our instincts make us question every little thing.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 8:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• As long as his diaper counts are good(6-8) he is fine.
    My son is a snack nurser...he always has nursed often but for a short time. He is almost a year and still does it like that! lol
    TrevorsMommy03

Answer by TrevorsMommy03 at 9:41 PM on Nov. 7, 2008