What happened to my toddler's nap?!

My daughter (now 2 and a half) has been taking one nap at the same time everyday for over a year. She is very tall and strong for her age, and we noticed that she could climb in and out of her crib (she never did when she was put down for a nap, though) so we switched her to a day bed. No problems- still napping everyday at the same time after brushing her teeth and reading a story. She never got out of her bed during naptime, and would normally shout out and ask for me to come get her when she woke up. I even checked on her to make sure she was sleeping before, and she was. Then she started bringing stuffed animals to bed...one at first, then more. Now she's got three pillows, two bears, a monkey, and a baby in her bed.
Recently, she stopped napping. She still needs one, BAD. If she doesn't take a nap, she tantrums ALL afternoon about EVERYTHING. And, most alarmingly, she starts wanting to veg out in front of the TV rather than play. But, when I put her down for a nap, she'll either SCREAM AND SCREAM for HOURS or just get out of bed and start playing with her toys. I've tried removing her toys, and she still gets out of bed (then she'll start taking books off her shelf, which I can't take out of her room). I've tried leaving her in there to cry it out, which can last all afternoon, I've tried catching her getting out of bed and putting her back, which just makes her scream until she gets out of bed again...
I don't know what else to do. I can't find anyone with my particular problem. I am so lost and I feel like a monster fighting my kid everyday to get her to nap.
PLEASE HELP!

NonaScheib38

Asked by NonaScheib38 at 1:43 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like she is ready to stop napping. While she goes thru the transition, she'll be grumpy and out-of-sorts for a couple of weeks, but eventually her body will get used to it. In the meanwhile, start putting her to bed earlier. When my 2.5 year old doesn't take a nap, she goes to bed at least 30 minutes earlier than usual.

As far as the vegging out in front of the tube, plan some afternoon errands/trips to the library/walks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Mine still have quiet time every afternoon even if they don't take a nap they have to go in their rooms and play quietly for an set amount of time, sometimes they fall asleep if they are tired enough.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 3:12 AM on Dec. 11, 2010