Why did my pan get on flames today?

I had rinsed the pan and thought I dried it well but I guess not cause after i put some cooking oil a little later i heard sparks and when I turned to look there was a huge flame all the way to the roof, I immediately called my husband, he was taking a shower and thank GOD we were able to get rid of the flame but it did melt our miniblinds and paper towel holder and paper towels It was so scary this had never happened before, Ive been cooking for 10 years now and I just turned 27 a few days ago so I thought I had experience in this but I have no idea how that happened. Do you think it was from a tiny drop of water with cooking oil that did that? It was so sad that cause of the smoke it killed out hamster:( We did open all the windows so the smoke can get out but I guess she was to tiny.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Yes it does when the oil is really hot even a drop can cause a huge fire, never ever ever try to extinguish an oil fire with water there are some advices in these video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM-awC8yUuw&feature=related
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 2:34 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• More than likely the oil itself was too hot and ignited. Sorry about your hamster :(
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2010