why do i grind my teeth?

my hubby says i grind my teeth at night .. but why ? i actually just caught myself doing it time to time tonight just up on the computer .. why would i do it right now while im awake ..

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 3:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Health

• anxiety response. research it
    SamKJones

Answer by SamKJones at 3:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• wow i never knew that but i also do that especially after losing my first born son 5 years ago.Thank you cause u just helped me also with your question
    mocaprincess

Answer by mocaprincess at 4:35 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• STRESS! I grind my teeth really bad, to the point to where I lost a tooth from it, caused major damage to my jaw & had to see an oral surgeon. I refused the surgery because jaw surgery is suppose to be very painful & dangerous, so I opted for a mouth guard. At first I had to where it all day long for a week or two but now I only wear it when I know I'm stressing about something. My doc told me that it is usually caused by stress, which to me makes sense because when mine started is when my other health probs were really bad. If I were you I would go get an over the counter night guard, you can usually find them for a pretty cheap price. If that doesn't help to much I would either try to pin point what is causing it or I would go to your dentist & see if they can make you a mouth guard. They do help better than the over the counter ones but they can be pretty pricey. Un-managed it can lead to more painful probs.
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 5:42 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Anxiety and stress can both cause this, as can TMJ.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:37 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My DH and my son both do it. It is stress related. They have both been told to wear a mouth gaurd so their teeth do not get damaged. My son wears his guard faithfully.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:23 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• STRESS, STRESS, & STRESS!! I do it horribly!!! I use a mouth guard that my dentist had fitted to my mouth. I only wear it at night. I've grinded little holes into it and its a super hard plastic! There are also over the counter mouth guards you could get. You should really try one, griding is sooo terrible for you.
    domenica_rose

Answer by domenica_rose at 11:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Stress, or even just a nervous habit.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• anxiety... i never feel anxious, but grind my teeth... talked to my dr about it and well, it's gotten better. i do have a mouth guard for at night, but otherwise just being aware of it has really helped... i have been able to search and find things that i never knew made me anxious and i just pushed it aside...ii'm a much happier person now!
    asil

Answer by asil at 11:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2010