Im desprete for help with 4 year old...

Hi my name is Raquel and i have two beautiful children. I am only 24 and i have a 4 year old son and a 7 month old daughter.my four year old son is driving me crazy. he is waking up in the middle of the night and staying up all night long. he turns the tv on and watches that while he starts raiding in my refridgator and freezer. I dont know why he is doing this but it has to end because i am trying to get him on a schedule but i cant if he sleeps all day long after pulling an all nighter.

Im very worried his health like is he getting enough to sleep? IDK why he goes into my frig. we give him 3 meals a day and 2 snacks and it seems like its not good enough. I have bought locks for the frig. just for him to break them and also a baby gate for him to just climb over i have tried the 123 magic and its not working like it use to and also the time outs dont work either. Please any mom who knows why he may be doing this for do
you know anything i can do to try to make him stop with these bad habits. Please Im despret for any Help that i can get.

I think this has something to do with my baby girl see she was born
6 weeks premature and she needs extra care like all new babies and i try to give him the same amount of time as her.Thank you in Advance

mocaprincess

Asked by mocaprincess at 4:17 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If he is sleeping during the day keep him up. For the first couple days it will be hard. But if you do not make him stay up regardless of how tired he is the cycle will not stop. His internal clock needs to be changed.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:42 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Ive been thinking maybe you could take small steps with this, When you go to bed leave him out a snack and a drink ( bit of fruit or a plain biscuit and water or milk, nothing to exciting :) leave him some books out to read. You'll know if your happy for him to go into the family room but If your bathroom is on the same level as his bed room, I personally would leave the snack drink and books in his room, and explain to him that when you go to bed you will leave him out a snack on the side in his room with the books, if he wakes in the night the rules are the only think he allowed to eat and read. He is not to go and put the tv on or raid the fridge, tell him their will be a consequences if he does these things and make sure you punish him as you would if he breaks them. Once you get him used to not fridge raiding you can cut the snack You do need to try keep him awake in the day, or cut the sleep time down, good luck.
    Reia631

Answer by Reia631 at 6:57 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• CONT ... it just seems he has got into bad habbits, and its easy to let these slide when we are tired, .. Lots of praise and lots of possitive thinking, will hopfully get things back for you.
    Reia631

Answer by Reia631 at 7:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Our 4yo son does the same thing. It is actually pretty normal. Little boys especially are so fascinated with the world around them and want to assert their independence so things like sleep and food can become major battle grounds. We got a latch from IKEA for the fridge so he cannot raid it at night and we have dinner between 5 and 5:30pm so I know that when he curls in a chair and falls asleep around 5:45 he has food in his tummy and won't wake as hungry. He gets up around 3:30-4am which gives him 10-11 hours of sleep most days (he won't nap) which is plenty for him. I do get up with him, settle him in with a quiet activity and snooze in the recliner while he has a snack and watches a movie and I actually enjoy our mornings together now, knowing that soon he will outgrow this phase too,
    LadyKatya

Answer by LadyKatya at 7:09 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• He has his days and nights mixed up. Force him to stay up one hour later than usual per week, until he gets his clock back on track.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:17 PM on Dec. 14, 2010