mormon church makes numbers of people in salt lake city homeless

Ok so in yesterday's newspaper it had an article about how the Mormon church bought a hotel people were paying to live in so they could tear it down and build a new facility for Mormons use only so all these people got told they had to get out. I was told the Mormon church was the true church and that they are the most Christian people what I'm wondering is what is so Christian about buying someone's home kicking them out to use the site for the personal use of that religion and forcing people to be homeless until they can find a place to live I thought the Mormon church was focused around Charity and serving your fellow man what is so charitable about making people homeless absolutely nothing. What are your opinions on this

lonemom1987

Asked by lonemom1987 at 4:34 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't think what the church did was Christian like at all and that God is ashamed of the church
    lonemom1987

Comment by lonemom1987 (original poster) at 4:36 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• They didn't come knocking on there door and say get out now. Will people have to move yes but not today not tomorrow and honestly probably not for at least a month. On top of that when the paper said for "mormon" use only it's exagerating. Do you know of any church that would kick someone out without notice? No. And besides even if they only get a 30 day notice I know for a fact that all they have to do is go talk to the Ward Bishop and ask for either help getting the money together to move or help finding a new place.
    You have to remember with newspapers sometimes there's not only a hidden agenda but there's also a "need" for them to put a headline that will sell papers.
    I'd also like to know the site where I can read the same article because I've been searching for the last half hr and the only thing I came up with was an article in 06 stating that they were in process of buying a hotel and that the "remaining" space would
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 5:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• be used for a "dorm" type setting for students attending the LDS business college which BTW you don't have to be mormon to get into. It helps but it's not a requirement. It didn't say a thing about kicking anyone out it eve stated that the majority of it was going to remain a hotel.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 5:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Not that believers are perfect but I'd venture to say that you do not have the entire story
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:55 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• So no Christian church has ever bought property and reused it for something else ever in the history of the world on the entire planet? Only an evil Mormon would ever do that? Think before you type.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I'm not Morman, but my grandparents were. My grandpa was an elder in the church...I definatley dont agree with alot of the churches beliefs, but I know they were/are very charitable. My grandma has her hand in alot of the charitable things the church is doing...such as making baby blankets for the hospitals and shelters for the woman who cant afford those nessities for their little ones. Anyway, my point is that I wouldnt think the church would do what the article said, but I guess you never realy know. I know my grandparents would be appauled with people losing their homes, especially short notice.
    MissyD87

Answer by MissyD87 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Where is this artical? I think that some people have so much hate built up towards the church that they(people) no matter what the church does is so bad in there eyes..
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:51 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I have to agree that they are very charitable. There is a BUT, that is if you are a member and, if you are a regular tithe payer otherwise I don't see that much help being produced. Also even if they can't/ won't help a person rest assured if you have a "talent" the church is ready to put you to work for their benifit. And they change the rules to benifit them. Look at Coca Cola. first it is a forbidden drink like coffee and tea, the day the church bought stock in the company it was OK to drink it.
    Pidgenhawk

Answer by Pidgenhawk at 10:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

Answer by Pidgenhawk 3 minutes ago

---------------------------
    That's pretty much true. My brother is a Mormon but he fell on hard times a few years ago and didn't tithe....guess what? He is shunned.Their charity is available to faithful fellow Mormons. And does making a bunch of baby blankets really help people? That looks good but its only "for show". LOL about the Coca Cola thing. Perfect.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• pidgenhawk and kerp1960- The whole tithing isn't true. The church helps who ever is in need. I know that church has been taken advantage of by many people I have known people who actually went from church to church having them pay there bills. OF course the church caught on and stopped paying and ofcourse those people were mad cause they couldn't live above there means anymore.

I attend the LDS church and there are times when I can't pay tithing cause there is to many bills. I have never been shunned or treated like an outcast. Again some people want everything handed to them and no matter what the church does it isn't good enough.. As for coca cola Caffine isn't a recommend drink in the church.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:16 AM on Dec. 11, 2010