Winter Coats do not mix with CARSEATS!

Somebody recently posted that they would rather NOT go through the hassle of taking off her child's coat to strap her in to her car seat, even after a cop explained the danger of this. So for those of you who would rather be inconvenienced for a few minutes when strapping your child in to protect your little love than pay a dear and tragic price because you were too lazy to get it right, here is the proper way to strap a child in during the winter months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNGT9eBL_gg&feature=share

Bump to help others!

CarriePM

Asked by CarriePM at 8:04 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• What we do that works really well and is not a pain in the a$$:
    Put the coat on backwards (opening in the back). Put kid in carseat. Take coat off (easy since it's on backwards). Strap kid in. Put coat back on (backwards) OR cover with blankets.

Usually we start the car and warm it up so it's not cold in the car. If we're out and about, we just put the coat back on (backwards) over the straps.

Simple, easy, not a pain or inconvenient.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Thank you!!!!!
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 8:27 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Bump from me!! I know alot of people think this is just a "silly" over protective way of thinking, but it really is NOT!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:32 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• You can test the coat first to see if it is safe. If your coat is not safe, you can buy one that will fit under the straps and be considered safe.

1.Take the car seat into the house.
    2.Put the winter coat or snowsuit on the child.
    3.Put the child in the car seat and buckle the harnesses as you normally would before car travel. Adjust the straps to the appropriate fit for your child.
    4.Take the child out of the car seat without loosening the straps at all.
    5.Take the coat off your child.
    6.Put the child back in the car seat and buckle the harnesses again, but do not tighten the straps.
    7.If you can fit more than two fingers under the harness at the child's shoulder bone, the coat is too thick and is not safe for use with the car seat.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:23 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Thanks and BUMP!
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 8:32 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• WOW!!! I had NO IDEA!!! Thank you so much for sharing and I bumped it AND am sharing it on FB!! Thank you again!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:38 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• We've never put coats on the kids when they were in their carseats because we're lazy. It was too much effort to adjust the straps for their coats and then the next week we wouldn't need the coats and have to adjust them again. So we just left them like we had them in the summer and put their coats on backwards after they were strapped in.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• bump
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 1:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• bumped
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• It gets below zero here very often...even during the day. My kids wear a coat out to the car (where it is usually already started). My son takes his own off and buckes himself into his carseat and we take DD's off and buckle her. If the car wasn't able to be warmed up I have them put the coats on backwards after they're buckled. I didn't know this rule until recently though so I don't blame others for not knowing. I always just made their straps looser in the winter. Not anymore! :)
    manamott

Answer by manamott at 1:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2010