Anyone have experience with anemia?

I went to the doctor yesterday & had bloodwork done, but I don't think I'll get the results back until Monday. I've been bruising easily, been very tired, and feeling just plain gross lately. Do any of you have experience with anemia, and if so, what were some of the early warning signs? Thanks!

heather.huckaby

Asked by heather.huckaby at 9:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Health

• I have a form of anemia known as Thalassemia. It's hereditary and not the same as iron-deficiancy anemia. My hemoglobin is chronically low, around 9. I had several blood transfusions when I was pregnant and after my c-section. But have not had any problems other than that except that I do feel kinda tired a lot. I guess I'm just used to it.
    If this is what you have, you're not alone! If you are diagnosed with iron-deficiancy anemia, then taking iron supplements should help you.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I never knew i was anemic untill the doctor told me i was, the only thing i has was horrable headaches. but you can always go to webmd and look it up
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 9:29 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I have chronic anemia because my stomach does not absorb iron well. I have to have infusions of iron via IV every few months. It takes three days in a row, eight hours a day. It is not a quick procedure.

I never felt the effects of my anemia.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 9:55 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i was anemic after i had josh, in fact i think i still am. if you are your doctor may prescribe an iron supplement or a daily vitamin with iron in it.
    lululovexox

Answer by lululovexox at 10:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I couldn't stay awake, and it seriously hurt to get up no matter what time it was. Ever since I started taking Iron pills, it's a lot better, but it's harder to go to the bathroom(TMI). I've heard a lot of people have that problem with Iron.
    LuvMybebe

Answer by LuvMybebe at 4:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2008