DH works Christmas Day, when to open presents?

DH works the 24th, 25th, and 26th from 6am-6pm. (He leaves the house at 5, gets home between 7 and 8) When would you open presents from Santa? Wake up REALLY early and do it before he leaves? Or let the presents wait until night when he gets home? (Seems like torture to a 3 year old.) I'd hate to have the girls open presents without dad there to see them, but I really don't know when would be best in this situation. I don't want to screw up Santa and open them the night before b/c Santa wouldn't come early.. When would you do it?

Winter1derland

Asked by Winter1derland at 9:40 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Holidays

• If she's only 3 you can do it on his last off day so Dad can see her, she will never know its not the real Christmas day and she might not even remember it when she's older but I would definitely not make her wait until the afternoon to open gifts from Santa, that's torture!! When my son was younger I did that so my step son could experience Santa at our house because every gift at his Mom's was from her. Now my son is 5 and he knows the date Christmas is on so we can't do that anymore.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 9:46 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• That may be our best option. I don't want to wake up the baby at 4 am, and I know I can't let Gi look at presents all day and not open them, it's just not fair. I asked DH what he wanted to do and his response was we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I guess 2 weeks isn't close enough to crossing that bridge for him.
    Winter1derland

Comment by Winter1derland (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• 3 ideas..........If there are presents from you under the tree open them on the 24th. Make sure they are something that will keep her mind off the others during Christmas Day. Then open the rest when DH gets home on Christmas Day.

Or get up really early on Christmas Day for a couple of presents (ones that will really keep her mind off others during the day) and open the rest when he gets home that night when it can be more relaxed..

And I think it would be OK to tell a 3 year old that Santa came early if all the presents are from Santa (we did some from Santa and some from us) . Then let her open one or two Christmas Eve, have the others hidden, and do the rest later on Christmas Day.

Have a wonderful time no matter what you decide!! ( I hope you have a camera!)
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Our kids were really young one year (what am I saying, they are still young) and we traveled on Christmas Day. We celebrated our own Christmas a week later. It didn't matter to the kids!

I like the idea of waiting until daddy gets home on Christmas day! Do some fun stuff with them all day, watch movies, play games, make cookies!!! They usually wait all day for birthdays at our house, so I don't think it would be too difficult to wait on Christmas day.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:09 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• That is an excellent point, she was fine waiting until night for her bday.. Maybe stockings in the morning and bake some sugar cookies? Good idea!
    Winter1derland

Comment by Winter1derland (original poster) at 10:18 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My husband worked last year and we just waited til he got home. The kids were interested in the presents since we don't put them under the tree until christmas day ( 1am) but they waited and loved opening when dad was home.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:38 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would open gifts when daddy can see but have a little something for christmas morning. Make the day fun with a project and watch the parade from disneyworld. Or just open stockings and leave the gifts for another day.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:07 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would either get up extra early and open presents before dad goes to work, or do it on the last day he is off before Christmas since she is too young to know about calender days.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would let the 3 year old open the Santa gift BEFORE dad goes to work and everything else waits until he gets home.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• maybe have them open the mommy dady gifts the night before and santa gifts when your hubby gets home christmas night
    momofalltrades

Answer by momofalltrades at 9:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2010