How you convince your children to behave in a restaurant?

adriennfaklya

Asked by adriennfaklya at 9:45 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• before i had children i didn't understand or want to be around mis-behaving children in resturants. now i'm a mom and i understand, first you need to make certain they have a nap before you go out, bring there favorite snack and toy. know this most people do understand kids are not suppose to be quite, and sit they don't have the tolerance to sit long. so either you just let them grow and be a kid and screw the ones around you cause they once was a kid, if that don't work just take them when they get older, or kid freiendly resturant. i wouldn't worry most people do understand, heck every time we take our dd out she's the entertainment for the night she's 3 and sings from the time we get in the door till she falls asleep in the car
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 1:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I don't have to convince them. They have been taught since they have been first going to resturaunts that they behave or there will be consequences. If they want to be there, we will leave the resturaunt. If they don't want to be there, they need to stay anyway, but know they will have consequences later (time out, favorite toy taken away for a bit, etc.) Be consistent with the consequences.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I agree, you leave. Took mine to a Burger King once and they misbehaved. I took the tray of unopened food, walked over to the trash and dumped it. They got in the car and were silent all the way home. Not a word was said and it never happened again.
    gullible

Answer by gullible at 9:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• They are expected to behave like at home. Sit and eat, you may talk when you have no food in your mouth. No jumping and running around either.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:00 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My kids knew the rules and expectations. Were they perfect? Of course not. But I don't remember having to leave a restaurant because of their behaviour. They knew we meant what we said. I never let them scream or run around. Parents who let their kids do that drive me crazy!!
    booksandhooks

Answer by booksandhooks at 10:07 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I taught my children good table manners from a young age.  We eat dinner in the dining room every Sunday and I set a more formal table and expect more formal manners from everyone.  The rest of week we dine casually in the kitchen.   My kids are teenagers now and I've always been able to take them to restaurants confident that they will behave.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:10 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• don't have to convince them....they either behave or get in trouble and we leave
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• We haven't really had any problems, though we would leave if they did not behave. Our kids are used to sitting at the dinner table and eating with us. They usually do not get up until we are done. So sitting at a resteraunt is not that different. If it is really late for them to be eating, I order their food as soon as we sit down so they don't have to wait as long. Otherwise we order it with ours. (Our kids are 4, 3, 2, and 1).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:53 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Yes I agree, just leave. MIne like eating at restaurants too much for that to happen.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• We only went to restaurants that were kid friendly and had faster service for a long time because it took our youngest longer to get with the program of behaving at restaurants. But we stuck with it so he would learn. We would leave if we had to but that rarely happened. Once he understood we could go anywhere.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:01 AM on Dec. 11, 2010