Can birth control have permanent effects on your body?

Sometimes I hear of women who take birth control and when they get off of birth control so they can conceive they say it's hard.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Health

• my sisters were on depo one is 34 and the other is 22 they actually have early menopause from the shot and aren't able to conceive. They don't mind cause they don't want kids. But it can effect you
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 10:31 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I was on the pill for 10 yrs before I got married. When I got married I went off of it b/c we started to plan kids and was able to conceive a few months later. So I think it just depends. Talk to your doctor for the facts
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:36 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Nine years ago I went through two round of the depo shot. It really messed my body up. I would have loved to have more children, but so far nothing. For the last three months my period has been kinda normal, but three months out of 108 (9 years) isn't really a good record. And hubby and I were just talking the other day, and I would have loved to have more children and a bigger family, but now there would be 10 years in between the kids, and I really don't want that.
    kymama9901

Answer by kymama9901 at 10:41 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• As far as conceiving, I don't know..but as for side effects, in my experiece - I'm still having problems from the Mirena IUD and I got rid of that piece of crap 6 months ago to switch the the Paragard IUD.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:48 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• the pill i have not heard anything about too much..
    But the depo shot seems to really mess with ALOT of people.. i took it for a lil less than a year.. we arent trying to get pregnant (but not doing much to stop it) and still have not got pregnant.
    Other options I dont know too much about.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:03 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I have no idea about Depo Provera....any of those shots, or new kinds of methods, etc. Most of us took birth control PILLS and had no problem getting pregnant.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• think about it like this anything you try to prevent from happening that's so natrual you have risk. that is why i've never used bc for fear of side effects like not being able to conceive.
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 2:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Any manmade drug can have permanent side effects. I'm a bit paranoid but I really try to avoid drugs because of this. I've never been on birth control (just condoms) and I've never had a hard time conceiving. So yes, I truly BELIEVE birth control can cause lifetime effects just like the rest of the drugs the pharmecutical companies push.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 7:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Any drug whether it's a pain pill or a BC pill can cause negative side affects. I've tried pretty much every BC out there because they were trying to help control my health problems, but all the birth control (ecspecially depo) did nothing but cause my symptoms & illness' to sky-rocket. I personally do not like it, but everybody is different so you need to choose whats best for your body. Just be careful, do lots of research before choosing one and remember that ANY medication can cause life-long symptoms or damage.
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 9:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Yeah the depo makes you gain weight you can never get rid of
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:49 PM on Dec. 11, 2010