Calling all moms of blondies ...

Is it just me or do you get sick of people always saying "Oh my, (s)he is SO blonde!" "What a toehead!" and the like? I don't walk up to other parents and say "wow, what a brunette child" or "my, that's some RED hair". The first fifty times were cute, but at time #1,073 it's starting to get old.

I just smile and agree/try to be nice and humor them.

JZ10FPM

Asked by JZ10FPM at 10:56 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have a blonde and a red head - so we get WAY more comments on the red hair. Yes, people do come up all the time (especially when she was little) and tell us that she had red hair. Um, really, I never noticed, thanks for the update! It seems like old people are the worst. For some reason, they think they have a right to touch her hair, which she never liked. Finally, she would simply say, thank you, but please keep your hands to yourself. They often times looked like they had been slapped - which is what I wanted to do anyway!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:02 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Yes, I just kinda humor them too, what else can ya do??? And I fugure they could be saying a lot worse so it isn't too bad =)
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• it IS weird. I think moms of redheads must get it alot too. Certainly not brown haired kids though....
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:58 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• LOL My daughter is a blonde but we didn't get much of that when she was young except for people teasing that she had to be adopted because everyone else in the family is brunette. She is 20 now and has had here share of Blonde jokes but it never really bothered her
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I had two..and it does get old. Especially when they touch your child and you don't know them from Adam. We we overseas with the boys when my youngest was 10 months-3yrs. Culture shock when you go out in a public market the first time and suddenly you are surrounded b7y these little asian women and 2 buddist monks...all kneeling down like they are praying. I was very uncomfortable. A local man could see this and came over to talk to me. He explained that in their culture the lighter the hair the more 'pure' the child was. Because they so rarely saw children with this platinum white blonde hair they felt it was a blessing. Someone in the crowd held out money and asked through the man I spoke with if she could touch the crown of his head. I said okay..but no money was needed. It was explained that would be unacceptable. So we let them touch his crown and we gave the offering to the monks. After that I took it all in stride.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:05 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Yep, all 3 of my boys were quite blond, and the oldest and youngest had curls - so we got quite a few comments on that as well. What really got to me was when I would have my oldest dressed in 'boy' clothes (like truck print overalls) and get comments like "oh what a cute little girl"-- I was like "ummm he's a boy" and then they would generally say "oh well he is cute enough to be a girl". Yeah whatever!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:21 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I always got comments about my oldest daughter's beautiful blond curls when she was a baby/toddler. Then her hair changed completely between 3 and 4. She went from having bouncing blond curls to completely straight, brown hair. I got a lot more comments about my son's eyes. He had these HUGE bright blue eyes. Unfortunately they changed to a murky blue-green when he was 5.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My kid has never been called a toe head. I get reaction for she is so blond and I am so dark haired. People are surprised.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I get it a lot because my child is a blond and I am a very dark brunette. I just say yup just like his daddy and move on.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Actually, I get the "Oh my god, her curls are so beautiful!! I wish my daughter had curls like that! Are they natural?" In response to the last question, my husband once said, "No, we actually permed her hair to get it that curly." My daughter is 4 and the woman's jaw nearly hit the floor. After a moment, she realized that he was kidding.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 6:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2010