How can I help my 4 year olds attitude?

My 4 year old is getting such an attitude, I think it could be from the way my husband and I bicker back and forth...I'm trying to stop it now...any ideas?

ashleyf1128

Asked by ashleyf1128 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You have to make them re-say whatever it is they said to you in a nice way. Be stern! It takes a lot of correction.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 11:02 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• set up a short list of house rules. like 3-5 important ones like use kind words and be thoughtful of others, etc. that way once they're written and posted she/he can remind you when you aren't following them too. preschoolers love to tattle, lol, esp. on mom/dad. and lots of praise when the rules are being followed.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:03 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Kids mirror what they see. If you are aware that your bickering my be partly to blame, then it very possibly is. You and your husband have to work to be respectful of each other.

You should also be shining examples of good manners and proper behavior and start expecting those same behaviors from your child. Kids love to please their parents and want to be like them, so if you are saying please and thank you, listening attentively without interrupting, speaking in a calm and quiet tone, your kid will pick up on that and will begin to mirror those behaviors. And be sure to praise your kids when they behave properly.
    LadyKatya

Answer by LadyKatya at 7:28 AM on Dec. 12, 2010