How can I potty train my 16 month old daughter?

Now I know alot of you are gonna try to tell me that she is too young to be potty trained but something has to change! My daughter has VERY sensitive skin and everytime she poops or pees in her diaper she gets an enormous diaper rash that bleeds! I can change her right after she goes and she still breaks out! I have taken her to the doctor and all they do is give me a prescription for some diaper rash cream that never works! I have tried every home remedy that people have told me...tea bags, baking soda baths, cornstarch, etc. She also will poop in the middle of the night and wake up screaming and have scratched her lower back and underneath side of her legs until she bleeds! She takes her own diapers off right after she goes in them! I just bought her a potty chair but before I start I want to know the right way to go about this. I have heard people tell me not to bribe and stuff like that. I'm Thank you!

Mommy2Bx32008

Asked by Mommy2Bx32008 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have no idea but as soon as you figure it out let me know... but i guess you could try once an hour hold her over the potty and see if she will go or take her with you to the bathroom when you go and tell her what your doing kids always learn best by seeing
    mommadent

Answer by mommadent at 9:51 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Take her every 20 to 30 min at first. Once she gets the hang of it, then you can put more time imbetween the times she goes. And don't listen to people, bribes work great.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Take her to another doctor. There's something else going on here, and you need to know what that is. She is too young to potty train. Unless she is very advanced in physical development, which I doubt, she does not yet have the ability to control the urges to go. Please find a doctor who will investigate why she poops in the middle of the night, why her poop is so strong that it burns, etc. There's something not right here.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:27 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• http://www.timl.com/ipt/
    http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com
    http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/parenting%5Ftips/potty%5Ftraining/
    http://babyparenting.about.com/od/pottytraining/
    http://parenting.ivillage.com/tp/tppotty/topics/0,,4rw8,00.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Poor baby! Have you tried chemical free cloth diapers? She could be reacting to the diaper itself.

As far as potty training. It is BS that it is impossible to train that young. My daughter has been fully potty trained since she was 15 months...as were all of my mom's children (except for one who was in an orphanage at that age and trained as soon as we got him...around 2) and most of her daycare children. She ran a daycare for 20+ years...that is a LOT of kids!

That being said...put her on the potty often. Make it just a routine part of life. You wake up, you sit on the potty, you sit on the potty before you eat and after you eat, before you go anywhere, before naps, before bed, while filling up the tub at bathtime. When she goes praise her "yay! You went pee pee!" and when she doesn't just don't react at all. NO NEGATIVITY!!
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• FINISHING MY COMMENT....

Once it clicks to her that she's peeing on the potty and not just sitting there and she can express (verbally or non-verbally) to you that she has to go then ditch the diapers and go to panties.

Take her every 30ish minutes until she's reliably telling you when she has to go...then always take her before you leave the house!!
    jaycee1124

• Oh and if bribing works for you...go for it. We chose not to, but we also introduced the potty at a much younger age and then followed her lead.

My mom did bribing with some of us...one M&M (one, not one pack!) when they peed on the potty, two when they pooped.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I second the take her to a different doc idea. There is something going on there, and she needs to be seen by another doctor. Good luck.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• work with the potty training, also get her checked by a doctor at the same time.
    amerians say ohh tahts too young yet if you go europe, almost all kids are fully tarined by 21 months. it just atkes more effort, its easier when they areo lder so honestly..some ppl wait cause its easier on them..not on the baby.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Listen your baby is not to young to be potty trained. Everyone told me my child was too young to be potty trained at 17mo, but yet she was pulling off her wet in booboo diaper to toss into the waste basket. Even when she was wet in had on clothes in could not get them off she would come get me in pat her butt, so I knew when she was coming to me that she was trying to say mommy change me lol. Even when she would pee on the floor she would try in get the pee up with a dirty rag. I started to potty train her at 17 in a half months, and she is 19mo now, and all I can say is I'm soooo glad that there is no more diapers all pull ups for her. I say don't listen to other people when it comes to stuff like this your her mother in you know her better than anyone knows her. So if you think your daughter is ready to be potty trained than hey go for it.
    My2ButterFlys

Answer by My2ButterFlys at 3:18 PM on Nov. 7, 2008