potty training a 3 1/2 yr old boy

he will tell teacher in school he has to go but won't tell me at home-have tried cloth pants but being wet doesn't bother him-he will go if i get him to potty before he wets himself -but that is also a power struggle-any suggestions will be appreciated

grammy402

Asked by grammy402 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried having some sort ot reward for going? Or he could get stickers each time he goes and when he gets a certain amount he will get a special treat/toy. Let him know what he is working for.....smething that he would really love to have. Just ideas.........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:50 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• There are signs that he has to go. My son is potty trained. Hes 2 and a 1/2. My husband used to make a pee pee dance when he had to go, my son will grab himself. Sometimes he will lie and say he doesnt have to when he does because he is busy playing and wants to wait until the last possible minute and thats when I go by the 'sign' that he has to go.

You can also try treats, my son could care less about them. They worked for a little girl that we go to church with though.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:54 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Have you tried having him clean himself up? Just curious since he is doing it at school and not at home, perhaps he feels there is no need to because Mom has got it covered, kwim?
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• i had the same problem 6 months ago. i had to put my son on the potty and i had to close the door so e wuldnt run away. it took two weeks before he finall sed hs potty by himsef. everyday he uses his potty i had him put a lil star on his bord. it works better when my son gets to put up the sticker.
    super_mom1987

Answer by super_mom1987 at 4:56 AM on Dec. 12, 2010