It's not about the money but the kids deserve it.

My husband and I have custody of our neice and nephew until their 18 yrs old. Their mother has recently been approved for social security disability. Can these 2 children get a check off of hers and if so do we file or does she ? please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Dec. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• You can look into filing for child support
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• she is 12,000 behind in child support right now. and i don't know if child support can get her disability check
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:06 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• yes they can get money from social security(my youngest sister does. call the social security office and talk with them. The check will be sent directly to their gaurdian.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Find an attorney who deals with social security/disablity issues. Call around and ask about that and if they give a complimentary first tiem consultation.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• She can go to jail for being so far behind in her child support. The child support can also be taken out of her checks.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• my niece lives with her family and her mother (my sister) is on SSA and the checks go to him for child support but its an add on thing not something they take from her.....she gets one check for her and one for each of the kids she has living with her then the other check goes to the bio dad my niece lives with .......if you know for sure she is getting the money then you need to contact the SS office and show them the paper work saying you have custody and the checks for the kids will come to you......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• if u have custody of all her kids, yes you do not need a lawyer dont waste money! just call social security - see what you need to send them to prove she is that far behind on CS ... sadly happens everyday! on the flip side- glad u can get support for those kiddos and bless you for giving them your home and love!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2010