Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 year old swallowed a dime. What should I do?

Called poison control and they said to go for an xray right away to see if it got caught in the fold of the esaughagus, and wait to see if it passed with in 5-7 days. If it does not pass go for another xray.

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Health

Answers (11)
  • um take him to the er?
    mommy5409

    Answer by mommy5409 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

  • To be honest, I don't think it's THAT big of a deal. Watch for it in his stool for the next week, IF he starts having problems, THEN take him to the ER but I wouldn't stress too much about it.
    Averylee85

    Answer by Averylee85 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

  • Do what poison control told you to do!
    mommy_of_two388

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

  • I would do what poison control told you to do. my nephew at age 12 swallowed a quater and he everything turned out allright.
    mandynjohnsmom

    Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 12:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

  • I would watch for the dime and any signs of distress. If he shows any signs of pain, trouble breathing, blood in his stool, then take him to the ER.
    rhianna1708

    Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

  • LOL!! My best friend's kid did this. He had been trying to for the better part of a year. It was a nickel.
    She got it back in a couple of days. If he starts having stomach pain or heart burn or anything take him to the doc, but otherwise his body will take care of things.
    Jenny-talia

    Answer by Jenny-talia at 12:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

  • I would do what poison control told you to do just to be safe.

    My sister did this when she was three though and she was fine. It was a penny and she pooped it out. My dad made jokes about her going though her "change" lol @@
    anninflorida

    Answer by anninflorida at 12:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

  • wait for it to come out the other end. Obviously its not stuck on he wouldn't be able to breath.
    gulfcoastmom4

    Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

  • My 6 month old cousin swallowed a penny and stopped breathing the next day. If you second guess it, take him in. Otherwise just keep a good eye on him for the next few days.
    elenalee

    Answer by elenalee at 3:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

  • I would follow what they told you to do.
    KTMOM

    Answer by KTMOM at 9:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN