6 year old swallowed a dime. What should I do?

Called poison control and they said to go for an xray right away to see if it got caught in the fold of the esaughagus, and wait to see if it passed with in 5-7 days. If it does not pass go for another xray.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Health

• um take him to the er?
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• To be honest, I don't think it's THAT big of a deal. Watch for it in his stool for the next week, IF he starts having problems, THEN take him to the ER but I wouldn't stress too much about it.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Do what poison control told you to do!
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would do what poison control told you to do. my nephew at age 12 swallowed a quater and he everything turned out allright.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 12:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would watch for the dime and any signs of distress. If he shows any signs of pain, trouble breathing, blood in his stool, then take him to the ER.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:24 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• LOL!! My best friend's kid did this. He had been trying to for the better part of a year. It was a nickel.
    She got it back in a couple of days. If he starts having stomach pain or heart burn or anything take him to the doc, but otherwise his body will take care of things.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 12:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would do what poison control told you to do just to be safe.

My sister did this when she was three though and she was fine. It was a penny and she pooped it out. My dad made jokes about her going though her "change" lol @@
    anninflorida

Answer by anninflorida at 12:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• wait for it to come out the other end. Obviously its not stuck on he wouldn't be able to breath.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My 6 month old cousin swallowed a penny and stopped breathing the next day. If you second guess it, take him in. Otherwise just keep a good eye on him for the next few days.
    elenalee

Answer by elenalee at 3:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would follow what they told you to do.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2010