cops - what does your kid think about them?? / do they fear them??

We went to Walmart today (i know - first mistake right there!) and they were doing a "shop with a cop" program there - kids who are underprivledged get to shop for their fam with 100bucks provided by the boosters... very nice very cute! and at teh checkout ds (age 5) was getting a little ansy.... could be the huge lines.. and the lady casheer was TRYING (i think) to help me out... she told him to watch out - there were lots of cops there.. which makes ds all happy... like oh the good guys... he doesnt hear what she is saying (behave or you could be arrested?...hum) she kept repeating herself... (even though he wasnt acting up anymore) until i explained to her - HE ISNT AFRAID OF POLICE! because he has been taught - they can help if you get lost - they are here to protect us. i suggested maybe saying the store cams were linked to santa in the north pole.
so,... how would your kids at age 5 reacted to the threat of police? would they have understood her? i guess he is a middle class kid - idk if that has any baring on the perception of police.... what do you think?

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 12:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My mother did that to my son when he was about 2 1/2.We were trying to break him of the binky and she was watching him. They went to Walmart and there was an officer there. She told him, Oh look! You better give me that binky or the police man will take you to jail! It has taken us 5 year and a really nice officer who went out of his way, to correct his thinking! Needless to say, mother no longer watches him!
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 5:52 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My kids like cops. They are 11, 4 and 2. They think they are heros and look up to them. But then again we have never been law breakers, so our kids have never had a bad look at cops.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• My kids like cops generally//my son especially. My daughter made a comment to me the other day about cops wanting to harass people...I said WHERE did you get that idea? She said on SPONGEBOB Mrs. Puff littered and they went way overboard harassing her....she's 9 and she knows its a cartoon...but I made sure to let her know..yes, some do..and others are GREAT.

The cops here have events for the middle school and straight A student's get to have a huge lunch with some cops every semester

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I work for a police department and this is kind of a pet peeve of mine. I know lots of people that say it though, family members included. My little girl would be fine with being around an officer b/c she has seen them since the day she was born!! Lol. But I do wish that officers weren't portrayed as bad guys that will take you away from your family and throw you in jail when you are 5 and don't obey your mom. That is terrifying to me to go to jail, I could only imagine what a little kid would think!!!
    teagansmom10

Answer by teagansmom10 at 1:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Here we have an awesome cop who does the DARE program. The kids both love Officer Ken and associate his attitude toward kids with all cops. I would have told the woman at Walmart the same thing. It's crazy trying to make kids scared of people who are there to protect them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2010