I know ppl say you shouldnt try to highlight yourself... but if you did...

I need tips!!! I keep trying to wait to have the money to go to salon, but around Christmas I dont think it's in the cards, but still need to get them..... what are some tried and true tips??? I rarely dye my hair, so I'm a novice. Thanks so much!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I agree, don't do it yourself. I did my own once....it was a disaster! I ended up with blotches all in my hair, it was horrible.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Hmmm.

don't highlight...go and get a temporary gloss..l'oreal makes a good one Healthy something...and do that. It will make your hair shiny and full of body, perfect for parties, etc, and then get your highlights when you have money.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• The hairstylists are the ones telling you not to do it yourself because they want your money!! Only YOU know right where you want your highlights! It's easy! Just paint the highlights where you want them! I do my own..wanna see some pics? I do a right fine job of it if I do say so myself :)
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 12:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I get the highlight box that has the cap in it, dont start highlighting straight at the front of your head, go a couple holes back and start, dont do every hole, like every other hole ask a friend for help, but I do it myself all the time so..
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I think if you to a beauty supply store like Sally's and get good product and use a cap you will be fine. I have done that a few times and it works out great. Be sure you read all of the directions and ask one of your friends if they can help you. It can be done by yourself but it is easier to have a friend pull your hair thru a cap. Good luck!! I am sure you will look amazing!
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 2:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• The hairstylists are the ones telling you not to do it yourself because they want your money!! --

HAHA!! i bet your hair looks like a $25 color job..about as much as you spend on the actual product. professionals (and those who know the truth anyway..) tell you not to do it yourself, especially if you've never done it before, because we know what color-correction is all about and what a bitch it is..when it doesn't turn out 'perfect'..as the self-screwed up client expects..since we're the pros, of course..the kitchen-beautician then turns the bitch on us, and who gets the blame?
    yeah, we want your money..but we don't want your screw-ups. i'm one professional who refuses to do color-correction for kitchen-beauticians.

good luck, OP.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If you must buy one of the kits that is a two or three step process - dye for base, then highlights then shine. Before the highlights take the time to completely dry and style your hair as you normal wear it (no products please hair gel/spray etc.) Once styled you will be able to place highlights correctly. I don't blame you for being frugal where you can esp. during the holiday but I would rather she you try yourself then go to a cheapie place and pay for the same results you could do yourself.
    mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 10:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• if you have a beauty school near where you live you should call them they are usually cheap and the students do the work but its usually when they are near graduating
    momofalltrades

Answer by momofalltrades at 9:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2010