My 3 yr old is always poking other kids!

My daughter is in preschool and every week I get a report that she is hitting and poking other kids. She is not doing it in a bullying type of way but in a playful manner. She goes to time out and is asked to stop by her teachers and myself but she will not stop. I dropped her off at school the other day and saw her poking someone else. They will usually just start poking each other but she starts it. She also has a problem with lining up and waiting her turn. I dont know what to do ! I hate getting those reports but appreciate it so I know what to work with her at home. The other thing is she is EXTREMELY shy and will not answer or speak to the teachers. If they someone says Gia hurt me, they try to get both sides but since she wont talk they often take the other childs side. She is comfortable around kids and will talk but with the adults she will not say a word at all. I feel she will grow out of it but wants her to stop with the poking and hitting and start with the talking.

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is there a speech or occupational therapist through the school that you could get some advice from? Or some recommendations through your pediatrician? just ideas.........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I mean start talking to teachers.
    KayGia0704

Comment by KayGia0704 (original poster) at 1:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• She is very smart and speaks more than the average 3 yr old. The teachers hear when she is talking to other kids or to myself when I am there. They do not suggest any speech or occupational theraphy because they have heard her and understands that she is just shy and they feel as though she will break out of it with time.
    KayGia0704

Comment by KayGia0704 (original poster) at 1:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I was an extremely shy kid. I wouldn't speak to my teachers either. I did take speech class when i was younger. But i eventually grew out of the shyness. In time.
    destinys1

Answer by destinys1 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean to suggest therapy but, rather, resources from school personnel and your pediatrician for you to get ideas from and discuss solutions with.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:59 PM on Dec. 11, 2010