How does getting less of something equate to spending more of it?

This ridiculous math with absolutely no basis in logic, reason or arithmetic keeps coming up, so I'd really like someone who believes it to explain it.

If someone could give you $10 that you have no claim to, have not spent yet, and have no reason to budget, but instead only gives you $5, how does that turn into costing you $5? You have $100 right now. You want someone to give you $10, and they give you $5, so you now have $105, $5 more than you had. How did that cost you $5?

Similarly, if a budget could be raised by 10%, but has not been written yet, the people the budget is for have no claim to the money and have not spent it yet, and instead the budget is only raised by 5%, how is that a 5% cut to funding? If you're getting $1000 this year, you want $1100 next year, and you only get $1050 next year, how was your budget CUT, when you're still getting $50 more next year than you did this year?

So once more - how is a tax rate staying the same instead of increasing COSTING you money? If your tax rate today is 20%, and your tax rate tomorrow could be 40%, but instead it's still only 20%, where did you start paying in LESS money than you were before?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:11 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't get that math either, except in the case where the recipient has already spent the amount they thought they were going to get before they knew what they were actually going to get.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Governor Christie is having this problem in Jersey.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I don't understand some people when it comes to the tax cuts. I don't mind paying my fair share when it comes to taxes but I don't want to pay more when I know without a doubt the money will not be spent wisely.
    Anonymous

• when I know without a doubt the money will not be spent wisely.

EVERYONE has their special interest or pet projects that they do not want affected by budget cuts...wisely is a very subjective adverb-just depends on who is making the assessment. It's a huge part of the problem and why too much money is spent...trying to make every group (voting block) happy.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• This reminds me of the housing situation. I know so many people who have lived in their homes for decades, bought them for next to nothing and have loads of equity, but still claim that they have lost value. NO, value is assessed on the day you sell, not on some random day in 2004. If you paid $100,00 and it's now worth $500,000 your home has not lost value-even if you could have sold it for $800,000 in 2004-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:47 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would be highly insulted if I were a Democrat and my politicians were always trying to make me buy the above bullchit.

I think they expect very little of their constituency.

Witness who's in the White House.

Wonder if anybody so far has had their car note paid off?

Democrats would never look at Europe and the horrendous problems they're having right now.

Because then they'd have to take a lesson.

And DAMN, ...........you know how that business goes.......................

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 1:50 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• woohoo

sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 2:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I think that the ones that are spouting this drivel think that if they say it long enough, people will believe it. These "representatives of the people" have already spent the money, in their minds, on their pet projects. They're upset that individuals and small businesses will be able to keep the same amount of their own hard earned money, and they won't be able to get their grubby little hands on it.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• EVERYONE has their special interest or pet projects that they do not want affected by budget cuts...wisely is a very subjective adverb-just depends on who is making the assessment. It's a huge part of the problem and why too much money is spent...trying to make every group (voting block) happy.

I think anyone with a brain realizes that right now our Government is not spending taxpayers money wisely. We are in debt heavily and if I ran my finances like our Gov does I would be going under right now. Hard for me to even think of handing over another 100k to them next year knowing it will not go to pay down the debt but to pay for more special interest projects. To me paying more in taxes is no different than throwing my 100k in the river.
    Anonymous

• To me paying more in taxes is no different than throwing my 100k in the river.

If you're only willing to look at HALF of the solutions and part of the equation, do not COMPLAIN about the lackluster results- You're never going to completely solve ANY problem when you refuse to consider ALL of the solutions- Clearly, solving the deficit is really not all that important to you and those who think like you- ITRW, real solutions and treatments hurt-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:41 PM on Dec. 11, 2010