I want to become a nurse, but dont even know if its an option...

I have wanted to be a nurse for a while. I graduated high school in '04, I never paid much attention in school, much to my regret. I didnt take SAT's, and now I dont know what to do to get started. Right now because DH is stationed overseas I would have to start out with online classes for the next 2 yrs before I could even get into a classroom, but I dont even know where to get started. I am so afraid that I will fail, that I dont even want to try. Any one start out a little later in life going back to school, that can give me some advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm a nursing student, applying to programs right now. I'm actually a vet, too, so I'm familiar with the GI Bill stuff. Will your hubby let you use his? That might be a way to do it financially, and depending on your zip code, the Post-9/11 GI Bill pays really well.
    You can do a lot of your general ed classes online (I HAVE to take classes in a classroom- I don't have the discipline for online classes), but the prerequisites MUST be done in a class and lab (like chem, micro, anatomy, and physio). A lot of colleges have day cares/preschools, which is a HUGE help, and they are usually among the best in the area.
    Talk to a counselor at the school, and they can help you get your ed plan worked out. Do you want to go the RN route, or the BSN route?
    Feel free to PM me if you want some guidance or have some questions. YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• You need to first adjust your attitude towards it. Visit your local community college and sit down with an advisor that can help map it all out for you. If you are determined to become a nurse then the 2 yrs should be a breeze.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 1:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• you could do it. do some research online. there is so much information out there now. like kaygia said go to a local community college and see what they said. if you can do it online your general eds that would be fantastic. and since your husband is in the military there might be options for fincial aid ect. the first step is to find out information.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I went to college for this 12 years after I graduated.
    You can take the pre req testing at any community/junior college.
    It was a big challenge, and I worked my tail off at it. I had all 5 kids at home(10 and under), and my husband was gone with the military part of the time. It was a challenge I am proud I accomplished! I graduated with a 3.975. (yes, I got mad about that last .025!)
    You have to decide this is what you want, and then just do it. It wasn't easy, but if I could do it, you can, too! Stay positive!
    6girlsrock

Answer by 6girlsrock at 1:44 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I am an RN and my advice to you is to see if there are available jobs in your community before spending your time and money on school. I keep seeing advertisements everywhere saying that there is such a demand for nurses but in reality there are limited jobs (at least in my state). My sister is also an RN and she graduated last Dec and she still cannot find a job! If you do want to persue nursing, contact a counselor at any university or college to find out what classes you need to take. They offer great advice and it's free!
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I've been a nurse for 30 years! GO FOR IT! Check out allnurses.com, too. Good luck!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I didn't take HS that seriously, I think my ending gpa was like 3.1 or something. Not the greatest, but not the worst either...I basically just did enough to pass everything. I graduated in '01.
    I started college last fall, and I am pre nursing. I did my math and English classes,(I also work full time, and have a 5 and 7 yr old) one in a class room and the other was a distance class online. (I go to University of Alaska-Southeast)
    Anyway, it's hard, but start with going to an actual college in your area and set up a meeting with an advisor. They are there to help you! I was afraid of failing too, but I'm super lucky to have an advisor who is realistic, and is like, "dude. You can't do that...or yes, you can handle these classes..."
    Good luck~
    jsikapv

Answer by jsikapv at 1:50 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• allnurses.com is great, and there are many forums (fora?) for pre-nursing students.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I'd see if there are any schools in your area that offers the program you want.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:48 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Start out by making an appointment at the local university and talking to someone in the admissions office. They'll tell you all about the classed you'd need to take, the cost, ect, and you can ask whatever questions you want.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 12, 2010