The Golden Rule

I have been seeing a lot of people who have been nasty to others on here. Do you think it's ok to disagree with people? Do you think you should treat those who disagree with you with respect or with nastiness. I was taught that you should treat others as you want to be treated. To those who get nasty--do YOU want to be treated mean?

I was also taught that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Even if you feel the person is doing something unsafe, do you feel you need to get nasty with them in order to get your point across?

I think it is possible to get a point across without being mean. Anyone else feel the same way? Or maybe it's just that some people don't realize that they are mean? What do you think?

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 1:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• I think it's fine to disagree with others. Everyone has different beliefs and opinions. You should be able to discuss/debate without being rude and disrespectful. You can be honest without being a complete bitch. It's sad that some people come on here looking for a fight but I guess if that's what makes them happy, go ahead. They must be miserable that it makes them feel so good do put people down on a regular basis. I just try to treat everyone the way I want to be treated.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I agree. A lot of people judge on here (to some degree, it can't be helped in some situations), but I think in general, there are ways to word things where it's not so accusatory or judgmental. One can be critical in a constructive way. Maybe some people don't realize how they come off (it's always tough to read the real tone in type), and some people are just more blunt than others.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Well some people deserve to have blunt advise thrown at them. We cant just sugar coat everything so we dont hurt anyone feel goods. If it was me I would hope that people would be honest with me and let me know the truth or advise.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• There is a big difference between being blunt and direct and being nasty and insulting. I'm honestly surprised I haven't been insulted or demeaned for the last few posts I've made. I agree that people can be downright mean when its not necessary. These women asking for advice are also looking for support, not insults.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 2:21 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• yeah always try to be nice to other moms
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• it's to bad that one comment can turn ito so much more and people can say and be really nasty to each other. as much as i enjoy cafemom some of these ladies can get nasty, racist and catty. i don't and won't go back and fourth. i just keep it moving. won't do me any good to engage in a computer fight, way to old for that.
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 3:37 PM on Dec. 11, 2010