I need help!

So, I have never really had any friends that are girls. I've always grown up around guys and get along SO much better with them. There is no drama and no gossiping but most of all, I don't feel intimidated. I haven't had any friends for the past 2 years (I got married) and now I really feel like I need a few. I feel like it's inappropriat to have only male friends not that I'm married and I want to be respectful to my DH. My problem is that I have no idea how to act around girls. I feel so intimidated by them. I have always heard that girls think I am "stuck up" but it's really not that at all. I'm just so shy around them.

Averylee85

Asked by Averylee85 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• Averylee, you are not alone. Many women feel as you do, but find that when they do begin to make friends and actually trust another woman, that their lives are much richer for it. Good for you for identifying the problem and for being willing to take the first steps to work on it.
    There are a few avenues you can choose from:
    a. hang out with your husband and his married friends. You may find it easier to relate to the wives in couples. When you feel like you can trust some of them more or there are a few that your feel an affinity towards, you can try doing Christmas shopping or baking together and see where it goes from there.
    b. join a women's group in a faith related activity, if you are a person of faith.
    c. join a gym, team or craft class or class, hang out with people until you feel comfortable initiating with one or two
    Take you time and remember it will take others time as well
    sylvie-anne

Answer by sylvie-anne at 2:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Why would it be inappropriate to have male friends?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with having male friend when you're married. If there is trust in the relationship then it shouldnt be a problem. I prefer male friends over female friends anyday
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• we are in the same situations....good luck. Try finding some mommy groups maybe?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I agree about finding a mommy group. That's really helped me (although there is admittedly more drama than with men). It's nice to have other mom friends.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I agree there is nothing wrong with having male friends while married. I much prefer male friends, we just get along better but I have managed to find a few females who aren't so dramatic. GL
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 2:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• yeah you probably should look if there is mommy groups in your town & try to make friends there but not it is not wrong to have male friends
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• freinds are hard to find period! i would keep my freinds, your husband should trust you enough to countinue freindships that you had before him, with people you love and trust. as far as finding woman freinds sisters, and cousins count. also it's a matter of finding people with the same likes as you, you shouldn't be in the company of people that make you feel intimadated. good luck and just know there are good female freinds i'm one and i'm blessed with two!
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 3:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Good Luck
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 10:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2010