I'm 6 weeks pregnant, why am I bleeding?

I'm 40, will be 41 in January. This will be baby #4 for us and my 4th pregnancy. I started spotting on Wed, light & brown, NO pain but very light period like cramps, not bad. Thursday it turned to red. It's not heavy just when I go the bathroom it does seem like more. Not a lot in the pad though, nothing to change each time i use the restroom.

Friday I went to the ER. (OB DR was out of the office)
My cervix is Closed. The sack is in my uterus and they did see a yolk sack. They said everything looks like it should.
I go in Monday to have my HCG levels checked again.

Why am I bleeding? Am I going to miscarry? Could this just be like a period for me?

Everytime I have to use the bathroom, I think the baby is going to fall out. Sounds crazy. My dreams are the same way.

Karkie22

Asked by Karkie22 at 2:03 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I must tell you that sounds exactly like my 1st pregnancy, and it ended in miscarriage. My bleeding started pink, then went to red. went to the OR and they said my cervix was closed but the following monday and wednesday I was going to have my levels checked. This was on a friday and I miscarried on a sunday. I hope everything goes well for you though!!! Lots of luck!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• As long as it's not heavy, and you're not cramping, it's not very likely that you'll miscarry. Some women just bleed early in pregnancy (light, usually). As long as your hCG levels are okay, and your ultrasound looks okay, try not to worry too much. Good luck, mama!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Spotting for some women is normal. Because you are "older" that might be the cause of it. If everything checked out okay, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Now if the bleeding gets heavier or you start feeling pains or cramps, then I'd say to call your doc right away. Unfortunately if you are miscarrying or going to miscarry, there isn't anything anyone will be able to do to stop it, so you should just relax and wait until your next doctor appointment if nothing gets worse. Good luck!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Spotting can be normal. Just wait as calmly as you can until Monday for your HCG levels. I spotted bright red with my son and he was fine. I also have had 3 miscarriages where I did not bleed at all. I found out I had miscarried when they did the ultrasounds. So it really can go either way.

Get some rest and try to stay calm. Good luck!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• It could be normal. Ask your OB.
    MarvelousMama

Answer by MarvelousMama at 12:01 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• I know how you feel. I have been having bleeding on and off through this pregnancy also. My cervix is closed, and the baby is growing as expected. BUT, they did see some bleeding behind the placenta. This is extremely common, and is a main reason for spotting (I AM NOT saying that this is why you are spotting!!!!!!) There could be several other reasons why you are spotting. Good luck!
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 8:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I would call your doctor or go to the urgent care. Better safe than sorry. Good luck sweety!!
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 2:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Did you call your ob/gyn? That might be a good idea.
    Georgie_Peaches

Answer by Georgie_Peaches at 2:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• i would try calling your ob, i know a few people who do bleed a little while pregnant, it dont sound anything bad but good luck with everything
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I tried to get in to my OB Friday but he was out of the office. HIs nurse told me to go to the ER. I called my OB and told his nurse the results of the ER visit and I'm only to go in Monday for blood test to check my hcg levels.

What should my HCG levels be?
    Karkie22

Comment by Karkie22 (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2010