stressed and can't sleep

Some of you may know about what my 4 year old has been dealing with (sex abuse by his dad), but in addition to this, the father of my twins has taken me to court for custody (I've posted about that too) and is trying to get it settled before Christmas. I'm also dealing with my fiance's seasonal depression. Every night for the last week or 2, I've tossed and turned all night and only fallen asleep right before its time to get up again. I would go see the doctor to get something for nerves and sleep, but I'm afraid that the father of my twins could use that in court against me and win custody of the kids if I were on Xanax or Valium, as well as my pain meds and muscle relaxers. I don't know what to do, but I am exhausted and have a really bad headache and my eyelids feel like lead plates. What should I do?

sweet29mom

Asked by sweet29mom at 2:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Take a tylenol or maybe an OTC sleeping pill.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 2:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I've tried taking tylenol PM, nyquil, and other otc sleep aids. Nothing helps.
    sweet29mom

Comment by sweet29mom (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If I were in your position, I'd get a sleep hypnosis CD or podcast and listen to it --and pay attention to it. Every time I woke up.

You have accidentally triggered your 'hypervigilance' response --it's a way people survive in captivity, when under siege, when there are raiders near the village, et cetera. It's not a good way to stay sane, but it's a good way to stay alive --if you happen to be in real, physical danger.

Otherwise, it's just a great way to go crazy. You need a gentle, effective method of talking your hypervigilant survivor back down off the wall. Hypnosis, meditation, yoga, exercise, (some) talk therapy all work better than the more common OCD, alcoholism or drug use that many people use.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Take 50mg of benadryl. Benadryl is actually used as an OTC sleep aid...the other name for it it diphenhydramine. I can't tell you to take more than that cuz it says otherwise on the bottle but I take 100mg sometimes. I've done it for a few years and it works pretty well. I've never had any problems.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• You should see a doctor, but if they do give you Xanax or Valium it should only be taken for a very short time, not long term or you will get other prolems.
    sorry about you son.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:03 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Also maybe you should just put our kids first and not think about men. Sound like you go from one to another? Sorry but picking bad men are also part of your problem?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:08 AM on Dec. 12, 2010